DFU for X86

Management of storage subsystems: SAN, volume shadowing, logical disks, file systems, and more.

arne_v
Master

Re: DFU for X86

Post by arne_v » Thu May 23, 2024 7:14 am

hein wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:28 am
>>> Which raises the question if the author will release the source code to other as indicated above.

It actually PROVES that Jur has provided the source code to others, notably Norm, who has made a bunch of enhancements and bug fixes over the years and we wants to provide some more community support through SCI in this area.

I expect that the source code will be made available to all, but do not know how and when.
The general user population will just want some executables to run.
A few folks, perhaps yourself, will want the sources out of curiosity or perhaps to add specific options.
SCI is great. The best would have been if VSI would have provided it. But the second best is a VSI partner like SCI providing it. There may still be some VMS sites left that will not allow installation of free software from a random person on the internet, but software from a reputable company like SCI will work.

I pressed the source question because:
* as you say yourself then some may be interested in taking a look - in fact Ian wrote that he is interested a few posts above
* long term I think it would be good if the source is available to allow anyone to port to new file systems or new platforms - the world may look different in 2034 or 2044
* the phrase "He expects to be making the sources available as freeware in the next few days." did give me the impression that sources would become available to everybody
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986

imiller
Master

Post by imiller » Tue May 28, 2024 4:54 am

I'm looking forward to the sources appearing.

No updates at https://www.digiater.nl/dfu.html yet.
Ian Miller
[ personal opinion only. usual disclaimers apply. Do not taunt happy fun ball ].

lastovica@sciinc.com

Post by lastovica@sciinc.com » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:11 pm

DFU (Disk/File Utilities) V3.5-100 is now available for OpenVMS Alpha, OpenVMS Integrity, and OpenVMS x86-64.

Navigate to DFU (Freeware) at Software Concepts International (sciinc.com) https://sciinc.com/dfu-freeware/and request a DFU kit download. You'll automatically receive an email with a download link.

We also ask that you not share the kit outside of your organization. Each organization should make their own request for this kit.
Norm Lastovica / SCI

duncanmorris

Post by duncanmorris » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:59 am

Heartfelt thanks to all those who contributed to getting this essential utility ported and released.
Life just became much easier :)

snadow
Contributor

Post by snadow » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:27 am

lastovica@sciinc.com wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:11 pm
DFU (Disk/File Utilities) V3.5-100 is now available for OpenVMS Alpha, OpenVMS Integrity, and OpenVMS x86-64.

Navigate to DFU (Freeware) at Software Concepts International (sciinc.com) https://sciinc.com/dfu-freeware/and request a DFU kit download. You'll automatically receive an email with a download link.
Just FYI: As I discovered after requesting & receiving the download link yesterday, you have to perform the download from the same IP address that you were using when you requested the link. Since I receive my email at a different location than the one that I use for browsing the web, that was a surprise. It was easy enough to overcome by copying/pasting the link to the other server where I'd been on the web earlier.

Not a big deal. Just unexpected. Also, the link expires after 3 days. Thanks for the new version SCI! I hope to give it a workout soon.

Scott

lastovica@sciinc.com

Post by lastovica@sciinc.com » Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:05 pm

> the same IP address that you were using when you requested the link

Yah. I think that I might maybe have known that. But I didn't put two-and-two together to recognize a conflict. Hopefully everyone will remain as resourceful as you are.
Norm Lastovica / SCI

hb
Valued Contributor

Post by hb » Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:05 am

lastovica@sciinc.com wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:11 pm

We also ask that you not share the kit outside of your organization. Each organization should make their own request for this kit.
So DFU V3.5 is "Registerware". That's fine, but in my opinion it is no longer "Freeware".

With the given registration and download process, it will be difficult to download directly to VMS - using cURL or wget.
hein wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:30 am
I just talked to Jur.

While has has no interest/time to port DFU himself, he is the sole owner of the sources and had no objections to it being ported.

He expects to be making the sources available as freeware in the next few days.
Obviously some people are interested to look at the sources. Is it still expected that the (V3.2?) sources will show up on www.digiater.nl? I can't see them, but that doesn't mean that they are not already there. From what I read, the V3.5 kit does not include the sources.

craigberry
Active Contributor

Post by craigberry » Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:57 am

[/quote]Obviously some people are interested to look at the sources. Is it still expected that the (V3.2?) sources will show up on www.digiater.nl? I can't see them, but that doesn't mean that they are not already there. From what I read, the V3.5 kit does not include the sources.
[/quote]

The conditions on the SCI registration page say, "The source code is not available, and support is limited."

madsweeney
VSI Expert
Active Contributor

Post by madsweeney » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:21 am

An x86 version of DFU is now available from SCI:

https://sciinc.com/dfu-freeware/
Dave "MAD" Sweeney