Securing mail exchange on SMTP

All types of networks, network stacks, and protocols supported by OpenVMS.

Topic author
willemgrooters
Valued Contributor

Securing mail exchange on SMTP

Post by willemgrooters » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:50 am

Since more and more email-servers require secured mail exchange, it seems to me that SMTP on VMS needs to be set up for that. However, I cannot locate documentation on how to secure sending mail from SMTP to another mail server. At least, screening the VSI documentation on the subject didn't show me anything on the issue. Can anyone point me to documentation and on what is required? (Currently on Alpha (VMS 8.2-2L1, community license)). No real need for receiving mail because I use a front-end for that and the documentation of this covers the issue.

m_detommaso
Valued Contributor

Re: Securing mail exchange on SMTP

Post by m_detommaso » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:05 am

TCP/IP V5.7ECO5 (+latest patches) and TCP/IP X6.0 do not include features to support sending mail through SMTP servers requiring authentication and encryption.

Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8498&p=17566&hilit=smtp#p17566 (author Dave Sweeney - CEO VMS Software, Inc.).

Reply to that topic if your application or product requires extending OpenVMS to support sending mail through SMTP servers requiring authentication and encryption.

/Maurizio
Last edited by m_detommaso on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.