Hobbyist network setup fails

All types of networks, network stacks, and protocols supported by OpenVMS.

Topic author
mwammer

Hobbyist network setup fails

Post by mwammer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a hobbyist system following the instructions under https://training.vmssoftware.com/hobbyist/.

Unfortunately, the steps under "Configure network on the emulator" fail to complete, precisely the command
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\MigrationSpecialties Shared\msipcap\MsiIPcapSetup.exe" I C:\windows\system32

I have copied the command from the web page, made sure all files and directories in the command exist and I'm running the cmd terminal as administrator.

I'm getting the following error message: "Service stop pending... Could not copy driver file: 2."

Can anybody help?

Best regards

Michael

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: Hobbyist network setup fails

Post by marty.stu » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:34 am

Hi Michael,

The command indeed doesn't work anymore, although I'm pretty sure it did before. The only way to work around the issue that is currently known to us is to install an official version of FreeAXP (http://www.migrationspecialties.com/cgi ... p_620a.exe) and then reinstall the student kit over it.

Thank you for your report.

Kind regards,

Maxim
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

Topic author
mwammer

Post by mwammer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Maxim,

thanks for your reply! I deinstalled FreeAXP and the student package and rebooted. Then I ran freeaxpsetup_620a.exe and afterwards executed the above mentioned command but got the same error message as before. Following that I installed the student package and ran the command one more time with the same error result.

As of now, I'm at a loss as how to get the network going.

I'm more than willing to use whatever works under Linux or Windows to get OpenVMS installed and running with a network. What works for others? I tried the student package as it seemed the quickest (only?) way to get a running OpenVMS system with a hobbyist licence. I tried with HPE several times to get such a licence but the only thing I have received so far was an automatic response.

My main purpose for the moment for using OpenVMS is to port a utility of mine that I programmed in C when working for DEC in the 80s/90s to OpenVMS now that it has been developed further under Linux and Windows over many years. I thought the easiest way to make the code available for myself under OpenVMS was the network. However, I would also pursue doing that via a .img file if that will work. I am still looking for info whether such a file might serve for data exchange between Linux/Windows and OpenVMS.

Best regards
Michael

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Post by marty.stu » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:55 am

Michael,

According to what was reported by other users before and my own tests, you don't need to run anything or execute any additional commands after you have installed the student kit over the official emulator. Your network card should be displayed properly in the FreeAXP configuration utility if you have the distribution provided by Migration Specialties installed. Please check if it works for you. The screenshot of a working configuration is attached. You should probably also watch the guide on how to set up networking on the emulator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf53T7i8RGs

Hope this helps.

Maxim

P.S. As to Linux, you can try downloading and compiling es40 or find AlphaVM-free which can still be found on the Internet. The es40 emulator is available on some repositories (such as this one: https://github.com/promovicz/es40), although I'm not sure which one provides the best working version. It provides lower performance compared to FreeAXP and is somewhat buggy, but it's the only existing opensource AXP emulator I know about. AlphaVM-free is long time removed from the official site by its developer and was only allowed to be used in non-commericial purposes.
Attachments
FreeAXP Network.png
Last edited by marty.stu on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

ajbrehm
Valued Contributor

Post by ajbrehm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:55 am

Michael,

Make sure you read http://www.migrationspecialties.com/pdf ... rGuide.pdf and especially the chapter "Networking Avanti on a System with a Single NIC". Follow its instructions precisely, to the letter and absolutely.

If you install FreeAXP™ V3.0.0.620 networking should work in the emulator. There is no need to run a special program to get it working as such for OpenVMS in the emulator. You can install the Student package right over the FreeAXP™ V3.0.0.620. It will replace it but keep the networking ability. Then in VMS configure networking with @tcpip$config.