OpenVMS Community License Program

Everything you want to talk about that doesn't fit to other categories.

Topic author
ajbrehm
Valued Contributor

OpenVMS Community License Program

Post by ajbrehm » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:07 am

As it says on the News page.

That's good news!

OpenVMS cannot just exist, it must also be visible. And visibility requires a) support of normal hardware and b) availability.

In my opinion this ranks with choosing Visual Studio Code as a developer tool as one of the decisions that makes OpenVMS usable for the non-VMS community.

willemgrooters
Valued Contributor

Re: OpenVMS Community License Program

Post by willemgrooters » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:21 pm

Just a question: Where to get media (AXP, I64) since VSI closed the FTP site and I cannot locate the kits on the new platform...

reinhardtjh
Active Contributor

Post by reinhardtjh » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Willem,

The FTP sites I got with my license still work for me. I just logged into both the Alpha and Integrity sites. It was only the Open source kits site they closed.
John H. Reinhardt
  • VMS user since 1981

willemgrooters
Valued Contributor

Post by willemgrooters » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:51 am

I have a DS10 running HP VMS 8.4 under HP's hobbyist license, with a number of TCP services activated, plus all compilers and FMS.
This installation has been copied to another DS10 (different storage configuration), required changes have been made to boot completely.
Besides that, I have a PWS with the same OS and license. All these machines are member of a cluster (which can include one or more Itanium machines). No shared storage.
One of the Itanium has been upgraded to VSI to use the VSI Community licence: no problems. The second DS10 has also been upgraded and runs fine as a cluster member.
Yesterday I upgraded the PWS, registered the licenses but on reboot, th ALPHA-LP license failed to be loaded, apparently because all units (1050)have been used on the upgraded DS10.
That means I cannot upgrade my first DS10 to create a cluster with my ALPHA machines - rendering the Community license useless.
Last edited by willemgrooters on Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

volkerhalle
Master

Post by volkerhalle » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:11 am

To provide a more specific description for Willem's entry:

The VSI OpenVMS community license ALPHA-LP only provides 1050 cluster-wide license units. This makes it impossible to cluster a VSI OpenVMS Alpha system with another VSI OpenVMS Alpha (or more) and use the ALPHA-LP community license on more than 1 VSI OpenVMS Alpha in the cluster concurrently.

Volker.

willemgrooters
Valued Contributor

Post by willemgrooters » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:09 am

Just a thougt: Do I need licenses per machine if I want to run them in a cluster - because licenses are said to be on a per-machine basis?