OpenVMS Community License Program

Everything you want to talk about that doesn't fit to other categories.

Topic author
ajbrehm
Active Contributor

OpenVMS Community License Program

Post by ajbrehm » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:07 am

As it says on the News page.

That's good news!

OpenVMS cannot just exist, it must also be visible. And visibility requires a) support of normal hardware and b) availability.

In my opinion this ranks with choosing Visual Studio Code as a developer tool as one of the decisions that makes OpenVMS usable for the non-VMS community.

philliphelbig

Re: OpenVMS Community License Program

Post by philliphelbig » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:04 pm

I started on VMS back in 1992, paid real money and bought a new 255/233 with my own money from my first proper job rather than work under unix when I was working in research, and the experience of using it (it was at university so I had, in addition to the basic licenses I bought with the machine, the DECcampus licenses) allowed me to get a VMS job at the German stock exchange. After buying the Alpha, I started collecting VAXes (which were then free or cheap) and, later, Alphas, and so built a cluster using the hobbyist licenses. When I left research for greener pa$ture$, I set up a cluster at home, which is still running to this day (now Alpha only).

I don't plan to ever use Itanium.

I could presumably move to VSI VMS on Alpha relatively easily. My plan had been to move to x86 via a mixed-architecture clsuter (which I had for almost 15 years for VAX and Alpha), but if there is no clustering with the community license then I don't see how that can happen. I also can't imagine running a standalone hobbyist machine. While I use it only for private, non-commercial (i.e. hobbyist) stuff, I do want the flexibility and dependability of a cluster.

As far as I know, there wasn't a problem with abuse of the Alpha hobbyist license, so hopefully clustering will be included in the x86 community license (or some sort of commercial license which is affordable for a hobbyist).

reinhardtjh

Re: OpenVMS Community License Program

Post by reinhardtjh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you for the update to the Community License Program PAKs. Opening up Alpha to unlimited units and allowing Integrity users to have access to VMS Clustering, Volume Shadowing and other HA options is greatly appreciated.
John H. Reinhardt
  • VMS user since 1981