Is mcr no longer changing to system directory?

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
ajbrehm
Valued Contributor

Is mcr no longer changing to system directory?

Post by ajbrehm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:01 am

I noticed some time ago, I don't know which version of VMS, that starting authorize with mcr no longer changes to the system directory (and instead authorize asks if I want to create a new database file).

Did this change at some point??

wolfgang.kobarg-sachsse
VSI Expert
Visitor

Re: Is mcr no longer changing to system directory?

Post by wolfgang.kobarg-sachsse » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:47 am

Hello,

MCR (or MC) is and has ever been the same as "RUN SYS$SYSTEM:" . It never contained an implicit SET DEFAULT SYS$SYSTEM.

Your issue with AUTHORIZE is of a different nature. AUTHORIZE looks for the SYSUAF.DAT file and that location is defined in a logical name SYSUAF.

I suggest you read the online help:

UAF> help files

Best regards
Wolfgang

Topic author
ajbrehm
Valued Contributor

Post by ajbrehm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:37 am

Ta.

Never realised.

bhall

Post by bhall » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:15 pm

IMHO, the best option is to define the logical names for the user authorization files in the system logical name table. However, if you are not the System Manager, you can add the following to your LOGIN.COM and AUTHORIZE will always find the user authorization files without setting your default directory to SYS$SYSTEM.

Code: Select all

$  if f$trnlnm("SYSUAF") .eqs. "" then define/executive SYSUAF "''f$parse("SYSUAF","SYS$SYSTEM:.DAT",,,"SYNTAX_ONLY")'"
$  if f$trnlnm("RIGHTSLIST") .eqs. "" then define/executive RIGHTSLIST "''f$parse("RIGHTSLIST","SYS$SYSTEM:.DAT",,,"SYNTAX_ONLY")'"
$  if f$trnlnm("NETPROXY") .eqs. "" then define/executive NETPROXY "''f$parse("NETPROXY","SYS$SYSTEM:.DAT",,,"SYNTAX_ONLY")'"
$  if f$trnlnm("NET$PROXY") .eqs. "" then define/executive NET$PROXY "''f$parse("NET$PROXY","SYS$SYSTEM:.DAT",,,"SYNTAX_ONLY")'"

Topic author
ajbrehm
Valued Contributor

Post by ajbrehm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:42 pm

I think the confusion was due to the logical not existing. It was commented out in sylogicals.com. I uncommented it. Now it's set and everything is working.