Stopping being a hobbyist.

Everything you want to talk about that doesn't fit to other categories.

Topic author
alanfleming
Visitor

Stopping being a hobbyist.

Post by alanfleming » Wed May 08, 2024 6:33 am

Wrote a thing here about why I'm sad to go: https://alanfleming.org/2024/05/08/Goodbye-OpenVMS/.

tldr: re-creating things once a year to get to point where I was last at is a pain in the neck, and the thought of having to do that sucks the fun out of doing anything. And VSI could have easily designed a hobbyist programme where this didn't need to happen.

soutbarr
Active Contributor

Re: Stopping being a hobbyist.

Post by soutbarr » Wed May 15, 2024 9:08 am

alanfleming wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:33 am
Wrote a thing here about why I'm sad to go: https://alanfleming.org/2024/05/08/Goodbye-OpenVMS/.

tldr: re-creating things once a year to get to point where I was last at is a pain in the neck, and the thought of having to do that sucks the fun out of doing anything. And VSI could have easily designed a hobbyist programme where this didn't need to happen.
It is a pain. But you can always create a Users disk as a second vmdk disc. Use that to make porting what your doing easier than doing it all in system.

goathunter
Contributor

Post by goathunter » Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 am

He mentions that in his post....

mark.preston
Visitor

Post by mark.preston » Sun May 19, 2024 3:19 pm

from the system manager view, i'd much rather be given access to the software and license and let me build my own system and keep it upgraded/patched. That way i know exactly how i installed and configured my system and not have to guess. I certainly am not looking forward to loosing all the changes i've made the the system that can not be kept on a separate disk. I'm not sure i will continue with the hobby once this env expires as i tend to make lots of changes to the system since i am 90% a sysadm and not a developer. This program doesn't allow me to get any experience doing installs or upgrades which sysadms do