Stopping being a hobbyist.

Everything you want to talk about that doesn't fit to other categories.

Topic author
alanfleming
Visitor

Stopping being a hobbyist.

Post by alanfleming » Wed May 08, 2024 6:33 am

Wrote a thing here about why I'm sad to go: https://alanfleming.org/2024/05/08/Goodbye-OpenVMS/.

tldr: re-creating things once a year to get to point where I was last at is a pain in the neck, and the thought of having to do that sucks the fun out of doing anything. And VSI could have easily designed a hobbyist programme where this didn't need to happen.

soutbarr
Active Contributor

Re: Stopping being a hobbyist.

Post by soutbarr » Wed May 15, 2024 9:08 am

alanfleming wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:33 am
Wrote a thing here about why I'm sad to go: https://alanfleming.org/2024/05/08/Goodbye-OpenVMS/.

tldr: re-creating things once a year to get to point where I was last at is a pain in the neck, and the thought of having to do that sucks the fun out of doing anything. And VSI could have easily designed a hobbyist programme where this didn't need to happen.
It is a pain. But you can always create a Users disk as a second vmdk disc. Use that to make porting what your doing easier than doing it all in system.

goathunter
Contributor

Post by goathunter » Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 am

He mentions that in his post....

mark.preston
Visitor

Post by mark.preston » Sun May 19, 2024 3:19 pm

from the system manager view, i'd much rather be given access to the software and license and let me build my own system and keep it upgraded/patched. That way i know exactly how i installed and configured my system and not have to guess. I certainly am not looking forward to loosing all the changes i've made the the system that can not be kept on a separate disk. I'm not sure i will continue with the hobby once this env expires as i tend to make lots of changes to the system since i am 90% a sysadm and not a developer. This program doesn't allow me to get any experience doing installs or upgrades which sysadms do

imiller
Master

Post by imiller » Mon May 20, 2024 9:05 am

It is possible to extract the the latest Community License paks from the suppled VM disk and copy to your existing environment and repeat this each year keeping your existing customizations.
Ian Miller
[ personal opinion only. usual disclaimers apply. Do not taunt happy fun ball ].

sms
Master

Post by sms » Mon May 20, 2024 9:57 am

Code: Select all

> It is possible [...]

Sure:

https://forum.vmssoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8542&start=20#p21109

But updating the .LDB  doesn't update the software.  If fresh VMDK
kits are issued annually, there could be many updated programs in each
one.