Cluster Name

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
hein
Active Contributor

Cluster Name

Post by hein » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:11 am

I recently got access to a new cluster and was looking for a name to refer it to but cannot find a system managed location for a name. Should there be one? Crowd pleaser request?

There is a notion of cluster alias for incoming network requests, with a name depending on the network stack used but that's not what I am referring to or looking for.

I'm used to talk about 'the DEV cluster', 'PROD', 'QA' and such but only just realized there is not formal place for this.
Under 'SHOW CLUSTER' there are several name fields, one 'NAME' but that's "Device name of the local port." eg PEA0.
No such thing as CLUSTER_NAME !?

Nothing under MCR SYSGEN SHOW /SCS either. Just an SCSNODE.

Some system managers add a text to SYS$WELCOME or SYS$ANNOUNCE along the line of 'node XXX member of the YYY cluster', but that's free format and optional.

Would a place to store a cluster name be a 'nice to have' feature ?
It would at least initially not be a function/technical item.
It would be more a documentation/help feature, providing a 'where am I connected to' answer.

Comments?

Hein.

imiller
Master

Re: Cluster Name

Post by imiller » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:43 am

an official logical name in the cluster logical name table seems appropriate to me. It would have to be optional but could be prompted for by SYS$MANAGER:CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM [for people who use that] and added somewhere.

DEFINE/CLUSTER SYS$CLUSTER_NAME "DEVELOPMENT" or some such.
Ian Miller
[ personal opinion only. usual disclaimers apply. Do not taunt happy fun ball ].

Topic author
hein
Active Contributor

Post by hein » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:45 pm

Thanks Ian. SYS$CLUSTER_NAME sounds fine to me.
If defined it should really show in SHOW CLUSTER right?
The first line there in my example reads:
"View of Cluster from system ID 1137 node: IA50 "
It would be nice if that perhaps read "View of Cluster <USA Support East> from system ID 1137 node: IA50 "

Hein.

imiller
Master

Post by imiller » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:07 pm

Now you just have to submit a suggestion SPR typewritten on three ply carbon paper form, or modern equivalent. :-)
Ian Miller
[ personal opinion only. usual disclaimers apply. Do not taunt happy fun ball ].