VMS 9.2-1, VBOX and Wifi?

OpenVMS virtualization: OpenVMS on VirtualBox, VMWare, Hyper-V, KVM, and more.

Topic author
sodjan
Active Contributor

VMS 9.2-1, VBOX and Wifi?

Post by sodjan » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:14 pm

Hi.
I have had VMS (E9.2-1) setup just fine on a VBOX VM on my laptop.
Now, I tried networking, but I guess that since I'm not hard wired right now, it doesn work.

I tried to change from "Realtek PCIe GbE Familty Controller" to
"Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160 Mhz" in the VBOX Network setup.
Still using "Bridged Adapter".

I just get the message:

$
%EIA0, Link down
$

And nothing worked. Anything having to do with TCPIP to another system, that is.

Anything else works over Wifi on the laptop, including booting VMS from VMDK files copied to my NAS.
That was my primary goal for today's tests, to offload the VMDK file from my local laptop storage, and that seems to work just fine.

Anyway, just interested if anyone has got his VMS system on a laptop having networking over Wifi?
And what the settings was in VBOX in the "Network" part of of the config...

dmjb
Valued Contributor

Re: VMS 9.2-1, VBOX and Wifi?

Post by dmjb » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:20 pm

Bridged networking does not play well with Wifi - this is an issue with the Wifi spec and not with a specific hypervisor, host OS or guest OS. Sometimes it is possible to work around it, options include enabling the "promiscuous mode" of your Wifi adapter if possible, and there are some Linux-specific tricks described here: https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkCo ... reless_NIC

In general, you are better off using a wired networking connection where possible if you need to give your VM an IP address which is accessible from outside the host. You can always use a NAT if you only need to access the VM from within your laptop.
Last edited by dmjb on Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
sodjan
Active Contributor

Re: VMS 9.2-1, VBOX and Wifi?

Post by sodjan » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:01 am

OK, thanks for the insights.

I think i had one of the Alpha emulators that run under VBOX with full networking over Wifi,
but it was by using some other drivers that I do not remember much about now.
And promiscuous mode was definitely one of the parameters at that time.

EDIT: If I'm not totally wrong, a tool called Npcap was involved. https://npcap.com/
When you do run VMS on your laptop, I see it as a great limitation to be forced to be "wired"
so I might try to get this up and running again over Wifi...

Maybe I simply need to leave my glassed patio and return to the "real" office upstairs... :-)

Anyway, the main point I was testing, was to put the VM disk files on my Synology NAS box.
And that part worked fine. Several 10's of GB's released on my laptop SSD. Yes, I can only boot
when at home, but that is an acceptable limitation, as it is now.
Last edited by sodjan on Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.