Red Hat derivatives: Alma, Oracle and Rocky

OpenVMS virtualization: OpenVMS on VirtualBox, VMWare, Hyper-V, KVM, and more.

Topic author
martin
Valued Contributor

Red Hat derivatives: Alma, Oracle and Rocky

Post by martin » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:37 am

A heads-up for anyone using a RHEL derivative as a host machine: IBM have announced that they are closing their RHEL sources unless you have a support contract. How this will affect AlmaLinux, OracleLinux and RockyLinux is not yet clear. It appears that AmazonLinux is derived from Fedora and so shouldn't be affected.
Martin
  • Retired System Manager: VMS/UNIX/UNICOS/Linux.
  • Started on a VAX 11/782 in 1984 with VMS 3.6.

nix23
Contributor

Re: Red Hat derivatives: Alma, Oracle and Rocky

Post by nix23 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:21 am

I don't think it's gonna be a big problem, you can download the "real" RedHat, and use 16 instances for free (commercially and privately):

https://developers.redhat.com/articles/ ... rise-linux#

Alternatively one can change to openSUSE Leap that is based on SLES:

https://www.suse.com/c/closing-the-leap-gap-src/

A little reminder for those who are willing to check SUSE, btrfs is just and REALLY just for the Operating-system, for data (even /home) XFS is recommended (like RH), for gamers make a ext4 partition -> inode64-problem :-)

However, if you want real-world stability (AKA the new CEO/Owner kills my distro) use a established "pure" community distro, like Debian, Arch, Gentoo or one of the BSD's.
Last edited by nix23 on Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
martin
Valued Contributor

Post by martin » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:33 am

Only time will tell, but if it means having to change host OS on my server and laptops it will be a bit of a nuisance. Time I could spend better doing some useful work or exploring VMS.

As a retired user though, I can be flexible. How this will play out with commercial systems where their host system is Alma/Rocky I don't know. I'm just glad I won't have to reconfigure the cluster with diskless compute nodes that I used to run to some other distro, and even more glad I won't have to explain the same to management and users!
Martin
  • Retired System Manager: VMS/UNIX/UNICOS/Linux.
  • Started on a VAX 11/782 in 1984 with VMS 3.6.

nix23
Contributor

Post by nix23 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:30 am

Only time will tell,
True, but RHEL has a script so you can convert your Alma/Rocky and Oracle (without the unbreakable Kernel) to RHEL (Convert2RHEL), without reinstall the system.
I'm just glad I won't have to reconfigure the cluster with diskless compute nodes that I used to run to some other distro, and even more glad I won't have to explain the same to management and users!
Even more so when telling management that CentOS Stream is now the Way and RedHat...eh IBM change their minds again in 3 years.
Pretty happy i chose Debian and FreeBSD, well and OracleLinux for OraDB's (but at least that's not my problem but Oracles support contract)
Last edited by nix23 on Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.