X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

OpenVMS x86 native compilers, cross compilers news and questions.

Topic author
earlem
Visitor
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am
Reputation: 0
Status: Offline

X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by earlem » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

1) The IVP fails on initial installation due to the BASIC command not being present on the first install of a BASIC compiler. The IVP works after logout and log back in.

2) The last page of the PDF release notes references the COBOL manual. The release notes are also poorly formatted.

3) My source code makes heavy use of 'include from cdd' for record definitions. Is there a FT available of the TDD/CDD for X86?

- Earle


jreagan
VSI Expert
Master
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 am
Reputation: 0
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by jreagan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am

I'll straighten out the PDF release notes. I make the TXT/MEM file and they are cloned into the PDF. Something must have went wrong.

I'll look at the INKEY$ issue.

We've already found that the compiler create many (most?) EXTERNAL FUNCTIONs as WEAK even if they have actual uses in the BASIC source. We're looking at that now. My first guess is that the native BLISS compiler miscompiled the native BASIC compiler (the fun of compilers).

User avatar

cct
Master
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by cct » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:33 am

jreagan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am
I'll straighten out the PDF release notes. I make the TXT/MEM file and they are cloned into the PDF. Something must have went wrong.

I'll look at the INKEY$ issue.

We've already found that the compiler create many (most?) EXTERNAL FUNCTIONs as WEAK even if they have actual uses in the BASIC source. We're looking at that now. My first guess is that the native BLISS compiler miscompiled the native BASIC compiler (the fun of compilers).
INLEY$ does work. For some reason my first compile, before reinstalling DEC$BASRTL/share=noaddress just didn't do anything. My reproducer failed without that, then both worked
--
Chris


jreagan
VSI Expert
Master
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 am
Reputation: 0
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by jreagan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:18 pm

Turns out there are more 32-bit fields in compiler/rtl data structures than I knew about. [you don't wanna know]

Link all your BASIC with /SEGMENT=CODE=P0 will fix many of these issues. We're working on it.

User avatar

cct
Master
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by cct » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:27 pm

I am sure I read somewhere that VSI had released an updated BASIC compiler.

I now have the 2nd OS patch to apply, but I cannot find any reference about a new BASIC version. Am I just getting confused, or is it hidden somewhere?

Was also hoping for the Decset update to include LSE
--
Chris


reinhardtjh
Valued Contributor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:49 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Fort Worth, TX USA
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by reinhardtjh » Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:50 pm

cct wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:27 pm
I am sure I read somewhere that VSI had released an updated BASIC compiler.

I now have the 2nd OS patch to apply, but I cannot find any reference about a new BASIC version. Am I just getting confused, or is it hidden somewhere?

Was also hoping for the Decset update to include LSE
I have an email from VSI dated April 30th which mentions a Field Test V1.9 for x86, but that came out after the CLP was discontinued and my Software Portal access had been terminated. The most recent I was able to download was X0108 dated March 28th

Added in 7 minutes 11 seconds:
Well, scratch that. Between yesterday and today my Ambassador's access in the Service Portal has been enabled. However, the only BASIC for x86 I see is still the X0108 version. Perhaps Field Test access isn't part of the Ambassador's program (I seem to remember that it's a separately negotiated thing when I read the AP Guidlines document).
Last edited by reinhardtjh on Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John H. Reinhardt
VMS user since 1981

User avatar

arne_v
Master
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:31 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Status: Offline
Contact:

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by arne_v » Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:14 pm

I thought that "X" was shorthand for "FT-V" in version numbers.

The X1.8 kits says "This is a Field Test Release".

Added in 1 minute 8 seconds:
I suspect that the emailing saying 1.9 was a typo and should have been saying 1.8.
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986


jreagan
VSI Expert
Master
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 am
Reputation: 0
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by jreagan » Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:07 pm

The actually issue is a mismatch in the data structures exchanged between the compiler and RTL (32-bits vs 64-bit fields). The RTL that is bundled with the OS will be updated later this year. Since these things require matching compiler and RTL changes, we'll have to put an RTL on the next BASIC kit and look into an ECO kit as well.

To confirm, if you link with /SEGMENT=CODE=P0, then it works correctly?

User avatar

cct
Master
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by cct » Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:15 pm

jreagan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:07 pm
The actually issue is a mismatch in the data structures exchanged between the compiler and RTL (32-bits vs 64-bit fields). The RTL that is bundled with the OS will be updated later this year. Since these things require matching compiler and RTL changes, we'll have to put an RTL on the next BASIC kit and look into an ECO kit as well.

To confirm, if you link with /SEGMENT=CODE=P0, then it works correctly?
It does compile, but a very large number of programs fail - some un-killable. So far unable to diagnose due to the lack of a debugger. I will try again after installing VMS922X_UPDATE-V0200
--
Chris


jreagan
VSI Expert
Master
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 am
Reputation: 0
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by jreagan » Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:58 pm

1) We're looking to provide a newer BASIC (and RTL) in the next few weeks

2) We're making a DEBUG ECO kit for V9.2-2 that fixes LOTS of the problems that people are seeing (ACCVIOs in the debugger, looping in the debugger, etc.)

I doubt the V9.2-2 update2 will help you for these issues (but you should do it anyway)

User avatar

cct
Master
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by cct » Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:27 am

It did a bit - and I got a bit further with the debugger, but not much. I will wait for the next release
Thanks
--
Chris

Post Reply