X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

OpenVMS x86 native compilers, cross compilers news and questions.

Topic author
earlem
Visitor

X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by earlem » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

1) The IVP fails on initial installation due to the BASIC command not being present on the first install of a BASIC compiler. The IVP works after logout and log back in.

2) The last page of the PDF release notes references the COBOL manual. The release notes are also poorly formatted.

3) My source code makes heavy use of 'include from cdd' for record definitions. Is there a FT available of the TDD/CDD for X86?

- Earle

jreagan
VSI Expert
Master

Re: X86VMS-BASIC-X0108-5-1 FT

Post by jreagan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am

I'll straighten out the PDF release notes. I make the TXT/MEM file and they are cloned into the PDF. Something must have went wrong.

I'll look at the INKEY$ issue.

We've already found that the compiler create many (most?) EXTERNAL FUNCTIONs as WEAK even if they have actual uses in the BASIC source. We're looking at that now. My first guess is that the native BLISS compiler miscompiled the native BASIC compiler (the fun of compilers).

cct
Master

Post by cct » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:33 am

jreagan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am
I'll straighten out the PDF release notes. I make the TXT/MEM file and they are cloned into the PDF. Something must have went wrong.

I'll look at the INKEY$ issue.

We've already found that the compiler create many (most?) EXTERNAL FUNCTIONs as WEAK even if they have actual uses in the BASIC source. We're looking at that now. My first guess is that the native BLISS compiler miscompiled the native BASIC compiler (the fun of compilers).
INLEY$ does work. For some reason my first compile, before reinstalling DEC$BASRTL/share=noaddress just didn't do anything. My reproducer failed without that, then both worked
--
Chris

jreagan
VSI Expert
Master

Post by jreagan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:18 pm

Turns out there are more 32-bit fields in compiler/rtl data structures than I knew about. [you don't wanna know]

Link all your BASIC with /SEGMENT=CODE=P0 will fix many of these issues. We're working on it.