iSCSI initiator ?

OpenVMS x86 Field Test questions, reports, and feedback.

Topic author
nepenou

iSCSI initiator ?

Post by nepenou » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:05 am

Hello,
Is there plans for iSCSI initiator ?
I don't see it on the roadmap.

TIA,
-- Leon

pjacobi
VSI Expert
Contributor

Re: iSCSI initiator ?

Post by pjacobi » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:06 am

There are no current plans for iSCSI initiator support on VMS.

I seem to remember that on IA64 or Alpha, there was an iSCSI initiator "demo" kit for VMS. it was a bare bones implementation and still needed a lot of work. The project was never finished, and the project was discontinued.

I suppose it is always possible to port the old code to X86, but this is unlikely to happen unless there is a large customer demand.

Paul A. Jacobi
VMS Software, Inc.

Added in 24 minutes 47 seconds:
Note that it would be possible to use iSCSI in Hypervisor host OS (ESXi, Linux, or Windows) to access iSCSI volume. A new virtual disk could be created on an iSCSI volume and added to a VMS VM. VMS would see the disk as a SATA or SCSI disk and the Hypervisor would take care of the iSCSI transport.

Paul A. Jacobi
VMS Software, Inc.

Topic author
nepenou

Post by nepenou » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:49 am

Well, what about the FC initiator ?

pjacobi
VSI Expert
Contributor

Post by pjacobi » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:14 pm

It is currently possible to connect ESXi system to Fibre Channel SAN and create ESXi storage volumes on the SAN. Virtual disk can be created on the ESXi SAN volumes and attached to VMS VM. VMS VM would see the disk as virtual SATA or SCSI disk (DKcu:) and ESXi would transport the data to/from the SAN volume.

ESXi Fibre Channel Pass-through allows dedicating a QLogic Fibre Channel card to a particular VM. At VM power-on, ESXi sets the card for the VM memory space, then VMS directly controls all operations of the Fibre Channel card. This will provide native access to VMS volumes on the SAN as DGcu: devices, just like bare metal. ESXi is only involved in the initial power-up and configuration, while the VMS device driver handles the data transport.

We currently have several systems in our lab configured with Fibre Channel Pass-though. These systems need to be tested and qualified in a cluster with Fibre Channel storage. I don't have a timeframe for when this will be completed, but it is a high priority. Only select QLogic Fibre Channel adapters will be supported and not Emulex.

Linux KVM also has a similar pass-through capability which we also need to test.

Paul A. Jacobi
VMS Software, Inc.

Topic author
nepenou

Post by nepenou » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:31 pm

I have OpenVMS VMs on ESXi hosts equipped with QLogic HBA and will be happy to run early adopter testing.
Last edited by nepenou on Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.