SSH VSP Help

OpenVMS x86 Field Test questions, reports, and feedback.

Topic author
meusli

SSH VSP Help

Post by meusli » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:24 am

Hello,

I am installing OpenVMS on to a Gen9 DSL380 and have got as far as booting from the disk ready to install, but I am having issues with the SSH vsp connection side so can't continue.

On loading up theconnection and typing in vsp I get a confirmation that it is active on COM2 and the virtual serail port is starting (see attachment) but that is as far as it will go. I can press "ESC (" to go backwards so it hasn't frozen but I get nothing else on screen? Has anyone else come across this yet?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Openvms.PNG
Openvms.PNG (5.35 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

Topic author
meusli

Re: SSH VSP Help

Post by meusli » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:07 am

Still no further with this after multiple attempts at bios tweaking. It is a pain changing the bios settings on this server as the boot off disk process fails 9 times out of ten with a CPU general protection fault.

So far I have;
  • Swapped Com1 And Com2 around between the internal serial connection and the virtual serial connection
  • Disabled the internal serial port
  • Changed the baud rate to a lower setting than (although I know this is pretty pointless)
  • Enabled the EMS setting in the bios, but I am unsure if this should be on or off as no mention in the notes when I tried this no output was present on the boot manager
One thing I have noticed, when I used command prompt to connect it informed me that a connection was already established so it is connecting, but I am receiving no data (see pic).

Added in 3 hours 10 minutes 46 seconds:
I have decided to buy the Gen9 serial cable for connection rather than use the VSP over SSH, just had no luck at all in getting a terminal output. I will post back here if I get any success with it in the hopes it may help someone down the line.
Attachments
openvms2.PNG
Last edited by meusli on Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
meusli

Post by meusli » Wed May 04, 2022 5:29 am

Update,

I have now received the serial cable and can proceed with the installation, I could not get VSP part to work in any capacity. I would love to find out why it did not work the way the instructions indicate it should have.

Regards

Meusli

volkerhalle
Master

Post by volkerhalle » Fri May 06, 2022 12:27 am

Meusli,

as a fieldtest user you should have access to the VSI Service Platform. Please consider to log a support issue. Don't rely on VSI support reading this forum. And don't expect too many fieldtest users to use OpenVMS x86-64 on bare metal...

Volker.

Topic author
meusli

Post by meusli » Wed May 11, 2022 10:00 am

OK, wondered why I got no help. :)