And the point is?

OpenVMS x86 Field Test questions, reports, and feedback.

Topic author
mgdaniel
Valued Contributor

And the point is?

Post by mgdaniel » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:53 pm

Not wishing in particular to bemoan yet another VMS forum (cf. community.hpe.com) but a fortnight after registering and repeating a c.o.v. query ("x86-64 data aligment [sic] / faulting") in "The official board to discuss OpenVMS-related topics" imagining there may be quicker and cleaner response than the c.o.v. post, disappointment is the only takeaway.

I understand everyone (VSI) is very busy and I (by contrast have retired from full-time employment and) am an ISV generating no real income for VSI but what is the point of an "official board to discuss OpenVMS-related topics" if "official" input cannot be sourced in a timely manner. In particular the "OpenVMS V9.x / Field Test" topic.

I was quietly hoping for a quick, no/yes/maybe/later, response with a two sentence explanation as to why, from someone in the thick of it. The c.o.v. response was quick, enthusiastic and demonstrative but not knowledgeable responses to the question, "Is sys$start_align_fault_report() et al. still relevant?".

Regrets over carping...

arne_v
Master

Re: And the point is?

Post by arne_v » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 pm

I think several people are both in cov/I-V and here. So if they had already spoken in cov/I-V then no point in repeating here. That group includes me.

Regarding VSI engineering then occasionally they post here. But for obvious reasons even this forum does not get the same priority as questions raised by customers paying for support.
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986

Topic author
mgdaniel
Valued Contributor

Post by mgdaniel » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:43 pm

arne_v wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 pm
I think several people are both in cov/I-V and here. So if they had already spoken in cov/I-V then no point in repeating here. That group includes me.
Sure. Needless repetition (and often argumentation). Understood. Appreciated.

However enthusiastic the experimental and demonstrative explorations of X86 data alignment [non-] issues provided by c.o.v. participants (yours included Arne), the "Does x86-64? Is sys$start_align_fault_report() et al. still relevant?" question was still lacking a definitive answer.
Regarding VSI engineering then occasionally they post here. But for obvious reasons even this forum does not get the same priority as questions raised by customers paying for support.
Sure. Understood. Appreciated.

Just thought I'd give "The official board to discuss OpenVMS-related topics / OpenVMS V9.x / Field Test" a tryout as well. 同じ-同じ it seems.

arne_v
Master

Post by arne_v » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:49 am

I think that even though the discussion was a bit "unstructured" it soon became clear that there is not an alignment issue in the same magnitude as Alpha and Itanium - implying that the report was not particular relevant. There was a lot of noise in form of discussions about what exactly happen on Alpha and Itanium and whether there is a small overhead on x86-64, but that is just cov/I-V.
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986