(9929) StorageWorks DLT Media Compatibility?

Archive of the OpenVMS Ask the Wizard (ATW) questions and answers database.

Topic author
User
Visitor

(9929) StorageWorks DLT Media Compatibility?

Post by User » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:26 am

Hi, I would like to know how to initialize an DLT IV tape in SDLT320 drive ? I always get "%INIT-F-WRITLCK, write lock error" error message even when I changed the density to TK89 (the tape is not write locked). This tape was initialized in TZ89 drive before.
Last edited by marty.stu on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wizard
Visitor

Re: (9929) StorageWorks DLT Media Compatibility?

Post by Wizard » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:26 am

Do ensure the SDLT is documented as permitting write access to the DLT-IV media -- as is hopefully stated in the Wizard introduction, the OpenVMS Wizard is not a hardware nor StorageWorks Wizard, and does not particularly follow (or even know) details of device support. Please contact your local hardware support organization or the HP StorageWorks website for assistance with StorageWorks products and product compatibility.

If the medium is SDLT and is listed as write-compatible with the SDLT drive, you may have to degauss the media, as it would appear that the medium is initialized at a density that is not supported by the particular drive or is otherwise corrupted -- of course, if the cartridge medium is not write-compatible with the particular SDLT drive in use, you will have to locate and select compatible cartridge media.