(9912) MicroVAX II KA630 Console Bootstrap Command?

Archive of the OpenVMS Ask the Wizard (ATW) questions and answers database.

Topic author
User
Visitor

(9912) MicroVAX II KA630 Console Bootstrap Command?

Post by User » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:26 am

I have a uVAXII running VMX 5-5.2
On this computer, I can't

Code: Select all

>>>
I have an RRD50 CD-ROM reader attached to this system, from which I wish to upgrade to a later version of VMS.

How do I show the system configuration from the

Code: Select all

>>>
Last edited by marty.stu on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wizard
Visitor

Re: (9912) MicroVAX II KA630 Console Bootstrap Command?

Post by Wizard » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:26 am

The MicroVAX II console is almost twenty years old, and lacks various of the more useful commands found in more current VAX consoles, and in Alpha SRM and Integrity consoles. There is no SHOW command in the KA630 console, among other limitations -- though the KA630 does have what is known as a sniffer bootstrap, meaning it automatically looks through for a bootable device in response to a BOOT command.

The BOOT command for a MicroVAX II usually involves a DU device (when an explicit boot device is specified) and usually DUB0 for the first unit on the second UQSSP-compatible controller present on the system. (B indicates the second controller, 0 is the first unit on the controller.) The name can and will vary based on the specific Q-bus configuration; see topics including (407), (1149), (1866), (3232), and (5219).

Probably the easiest way to identify the device is to bootstrap the current version of OpenVMS VAX, and use the DCL command SHOW DEVICE D or possibly DU.

The MicroVAX II is no longer supported by OpenVMS VAX. The OpenVMS Wizard would replace this MicroVAX II KA630 series VAX system with a less-ancient OpenVMS VAX configuration, or would move forward to OpenVMS Alpha or to OpenVMS I64.
Last edited by marty.stu on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.