(9867) Asymmetric Network NIC Performance?

Archive of the OpenVMS Ask the Wizard (ATW) questions and answers database.

Topic author
User
Visitor

(9867) Asymmetric Network NIC Performance?

Post by User » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:26 am

I have a cluster with a DS10 and a DS25 both running VMS 7.3-1 and DECnet-plus. Decnet copies from or to the DS10 are extremely fast, but the DS25 is extremely slow. I have tried to see what differences in the NCL startup scripts and other than the date stamps and network interface differences (both have multiple interfaces, but only one in each have a CSMA-CD defined), I can find no differences. Both systems have the network interfaces hard set to 100 MB full duplex and this is
confirmed on the switch that they are connected to. What can I check or change to find why there is a difference?

Also, both are licensed/configured as end nodes.
Last edited by marty.stu on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wizard
Visitor

Re: (9867) Asymmetric Network NIC Performance?

Post by Wizard » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:26 am

The obvious trigger would usually involve the Ethernet settings on the LAN and/or the NICs, and specifically the speed and duplex settings. If the settings (as you have indicated) do match, then determine which mandatory OpenVMS ECO kits, which optional kits (if any) and the DECnet ECO kit (if any) needs to be loaded.

Then please contact the support, as information on the system parameters, the counters (retransmits and otherwise) and other settings will likely be required for troubleshooting this, as will some information on the local hardware and the network configuration.
Last edited by marty.stu on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.