Python source repository

Topic author
leogah

Python source repository

Post by leogah » Tue May 12, 2020 5:30 am

Are there any plans to make the OpenVMS Python repository publically available? The Python 3 beta is a great step forward but it's not quite there yet for me. It would be handy to be able to make 'unofficial' builds.

brett.cameron
VSI Expert
Active Contributor

Re: Python source repository

Post by brett.cameron » Tue May 12, 2020 5:36 am

Python 3.5 was primarily released to coincide with Python support in the IDE (which will not work correctly with the old Python 2.7); however 3.5 was not intended to be a long-term thing (it just happened to be something we’d had in-house for a while), and we will be looking to make 3.8.x available reasonably soon, probably releasing a beta version initially. Any suggestions in terms of useful stuff to include would of course be appreciated. We are including various OpenVMS-specific extensions, but as I say, ideas/suggestions are very welcome.

Topic author
leogah

Post by leogah » Tue May 12, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks, that's useful knowledge. For myself, I miss not having f-strings, and would like to use some of the async stuff. Not having unittest though is a deal breaker; I wouldn't even consider migrating to Python3 when it breaks all the tests straight off.

Having plans to synch up to a recent build relatively soon makes me a lot more comfortable. It wasn't obvious to me that the next thing after the 3.5 beta would likely be a 3.8 beta. Could I suggest that you consider making Python an 'ugly-versioned' package like SSL or the JRE, and support parallel installs? Would make the occasional deprecated API or other backward compatibility issue less of a nuisance.

jfp
Contributor

Post by jfp » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 am

Source for 3.10 for OpenVMS is available: https://foss.vmsgenerations.fr/openvms/python/cpython
Just select the default-vms branch.

It's WIP but many modules already works, included specific OpenVMS modules like vms.rtl.lib,vms.crtl,....

JF

jfp
Contributor

Post by jfp » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:56 am

As a 3.8 kit has been released, can you provide the repository pointer ?

JF

sergey_vorfolomeev
VSI Expert
Valued Contributor

Post by sergey_vorfolomeev » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:47 am

Here is the pointer to the repository in GitHub
https://github.com/vmssoftware/python_3_8_2

jfp
Contributor

Post by jfp » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 am