gSOAP on OpenVMS

Talk about commercial or opensource products that already exist for OpenVMS or may be available in the future.

Topic author
neilrieck
Contributor

gSOAP on OpenVMS

Post by neilrieck » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:44 am

(1) Back in 2010, we began using Brett Cameron's gSOAP (2.8.3) for "OpenVMS Alpha" to communicate with a CGI site in Montreal. In 2015, we migrated every thing to "OpenVMS Itanium" (the cutover was relatively painless) and have been running that CGI link ever since. So here is my question, will Brett, or VSI, be producing a version of gSOAP for OpenVMS x86-64 ?

(2) IMHO, Brett Cameron's existing gSOAP libraries found here: http://gsoaponopenvms.blogspot.com should be copied over to the VSI freeware site.

p.s. I have tried to get CGI to replace SOAP with some sort of JSON RESTful API but they refused. Anyway, my nose will not be put out of joint if VSI determines that no other OpenVMS system needs gSOAP because there are other alternatives. For example, many people are using ZEEP to adds SOAP support to Python

sodjan
Active Contributor

Re: gSOAP on OpenVMS

Post by sodjan » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:58 am

Hi!
Have you looked at the current roadmap?
gSOAP for x86 *is* included under "H2 2023".

Btw, I/we also had a gSOAP setup between Windows clients using a tool in Excel for
calling Web services on our Alpha. Run well until that part of the production went
to some other factory some years ago.
Last edited by sodjan on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
neilrieck
Contributor

Post by neilrieck » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:31 pm

I missed that so thanks for the update :D

BTW, more than 90% of our source code is written in BASIC (this was a decision forced upon us by our corporate overlords in the mid 1980s). I noticed that BASIC is not available on OpenVMS v9.2-1 (June 2023) but should be available with v9.2-2 (December 2023) which means I can't apply for a trial license until then. :cry:

But I just noticed that MariaDB is not on the list for v9.2-2 which will be another roadblock for me :cry:
Last edited by neilrieck on Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

brett.cameron
VSI Expert
Active Contributor

Post by brett.cameron » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:31 pm

Hi Neil; hope all is well with you!

gSOAP is almost done... it's not exactly a big job, but there are/were one or two dependencies I'd been waiting on (C++ for example), which are now available, so I'll soon complete the work. And it will of course support OpenSSL 3.0.x.

Topic author
neilrieck
Contributor

Post by neilrieck » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:28 pm

Hello Brett. Yep, everything okay with me in Canada. Are you back in NZ or living elsewhere?

Anyway, that is great news. Are you also going to provide the Apache plugin 'mod_gsoap' ?