NOTES/DECNOTES/VAXNOTES for x86-64

Talk about commercial or opensource products that already exist for OpenVMS or may be available in the future.

Topic author
pocketprobe
Valued Contributor

NOTES/DECNOTES/VAXNOTES for x86-64

Post by pocketprobe » Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 am

Surfing the net, I learned about this old layered product which was later considered unsupported/abandoned and made it onto the freeware CD. Would it be feasible to see this either with a source release, or a build made for x86-64?

Seeing someone describe it as being a similar experience to something like reddit, or a unique BBS experience has me wanting to play.
Last edited by pocketprobe on Fri May 19, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: NOTES/DECNOTES/VAXNOTES for x86-64

Post by marty.stu » Fri May 19, 2023 11:14 am

Hi,

This product itself can be found here: https://vmssoftware.com/software/freeware/NOTES.zip. Unfortunately, no source code available from us, but as this was a commercial product, it may be hard to make it opensource.
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

steve
Visitor

Post by steve » Fri May 19, 2023 4:59 pm

Notes is available for use online (along with other useful information and things) at Eisner:
https://eisner.decus.org

arne_v
Master

Post by arne_v » Fri May 19, 2023 9:49 pm

I guess this is one of the cases where the non-existing IEST would have been nice .

:-)

But from a practical perspective, the product was obsolete. There are many better products available today.

As an example: this forum is not running on Notes!
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986

crgnz

Post by crgnz » Fri May 19, 2023 11:27 pm

arne_v wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:49 pm
But from a practical perspective, the product was obsolete. There are many better products available today.
I never liked NOTES much (I used it when I worked at DEC but I never developed any liking for it).

But on the topic of obsolete forum software, I really enjoyed using the VMS port of The University of Guelph's "CoSy" conferencing system at university. BIX used the same conferencing software although I don't know if they ran the VMS version...