SSH helper settings in workspace?

Here you can discuss the universal Integrated Development Environment for OpenVMS.

Topic author
martinv
Master

SSH helper settings in workspace?

Post by martinv » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:00 am

Hi!

I'm trying to sqeeze a big project with lots of subfolders (= libraries) into VMS IDE. To ease the configuration, I wrote a Python script that generates a .vscode/vmssoftware.synchronizer-settings.json in every folder with the correct incantations to build the libraries.

I've collected all folders and global settings in a workspace file, and certain settings (e.g. files.encoding and .associations) work throughout all folders, but SSH helper settings configured there don't seem to get propagated to folders (Error message on synchronization: "Cannot find files on remote source. Synchronization failed."). If I create .vscode/vmssoftware.ssh-helper-settings.json with the very same settings in every folder, synchronization works.

Is that behaviour by design or by bug?

VSCode 1.57.1 with VMS IDE 1.5.41 on Windows10, remote system is VSI OpenVMS I64 V8.4-2L1

Thanks for any insights,
Martin
Last edited by martinv on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working hard for something we don't care about is called stress;
working hard for something we love is called passion.
(Simon Sinek)

sergey_vorfolomeev
VSI Expert
Valued Contributor

Re: SSH helper settings in workspace?

Post by sergey_vorfolomeev » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 am

Hi
Each folder in the workspace is a separate project with its own settings. If You are using .json files the type of config must be FS and workspace ssh settings are not propagated.
type_of_config.png
In case of VSC type all vms-ide settings are stored in Visual Studio Code files and may propagated from the workspace to folders.

Topic author
martinv
Master

Re: SSH helper settings in workspace?

Post by martinv » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:35 am

Hi Sergey,

thanks for the clarification.

Of course, I followed the Wiki's recommendations and chose FS for the configuration type ;)

Storing the same SSH information in every folder/sub-project is no big deal, so I'll take that route.

Thanks a lot for your work on VMS IDE. It's beome invaluable in VMS software development for me. I have become so accustomed to having syntax highlighting that I sorely miss it when editing source files on VMS.

Martin
Working hard for something we don't care about is called stress;
working hard for something we love is called passion.
(Simon Sinek)