OpenVMS ATOM Project

OpenVMS-related news and updates about the current state of system development.

Topic author
ajbrehm
Valued Contributor

OpenVMS ATOM Project

Post by ajbrehm » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:21 am

By now, I think, everybody has seen this or heard of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H6AJigJnNs

I think this is rather exciting. But the question is, how real will it be. Can one easily buy those devices, even in Europe? Where will one get OpenVMS for them? And what will the licensing be? If it is as complicated and temporary as OpenVMS for servers, I think it will be rather difficult to create a community around OpenVMS ATOM.

Any ideas?

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: OpenVMS ATOM Project

Post by marty.stu » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:55 am

Hello Andrew,

Below is the official answer from VSI.
ajbrehm wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:21 am
But the question is, how real will it be.
it is real.
ajbrehm wrote:
But the question is, how real will it be.
The company that sells them is based in The Netherlands and can be found at https://up-board.org/.
ajbrehm wrote:
Where will one get OpenVMS for them?
Good question, essentially it is the OpenVMS you know and love, however the delivery method may need to be different.
ajbrehm wrote:
And what will the licensing be?
We haven't decided that yet, but it seems obvious if the device is $300-500 then an OpenVMS license for these devices cannot be $1000s.
ajbrehm wrote:
If it is as complicated and temporary as OpenVMS for servers, I think it will be rather difficult to create a community around OpenVMS ATOM.
Our plan is to build the community around an open-source project, we have already talked to several organizations about our plans and so far, everyone has been very supportive.
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

Topic author
ajbrehm
Valued Contributor

Post by ajbrehm » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:36 pm

It will be real once it is known how to get VMS for it and which model one needs.

I for one am really looking forward to it. I will get four or five of these things and see where I can run with them. I am thinking Python will do wonders on those.

madsweeney
VSI Expert
Active Contributor

Post by madsweeney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:34 pm

The Atom project as shown in the YouTube video is not a VMS Software Inc. product. As Andrew pointed out using OpenVMS on Atom or similar devices is different from Linux which is obtained freely. VMS Software is not further promoting the Atom project now or into the future. VMS Software is concentrating on OpenVMS in virtual environments, not on hardware devices.

You may have heard in Tuesday's VMS Webinar VMS Software Inc. announced the community license program will be extended to include x86 OpenVMS in Quarter 1 of 2023. Community membership allows non-commercial use of OpenVMS like basic research, open source porting, hobbyist use, etc. If you apply and are accepted to the x86 community program, you can perform any research you wish like device driver development.
Dave Sweeney
CEO
VMS Software, Inc.
Boston, MA USA

babydr
Active Contributor

Post by babydr » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:50 pm

@ajbrehm , Having notice in another level of these forums that it is more like Mid-Year (actually somtime after C & C++ are released) , I'll belay the below till then .

>If your statement below is correct ...
>
>"...the community license program will be extended to include x86 OpenVMS in Quarter 1 of 2023."
>
>Then why even to today the registration page for the Community License ...
>Still shows ...
>
>x86 (planned) Community License
>
>?
Tia , JimL
Last edited by babydr on Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sms
Master

Post by sms » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 pm

Code: Select all

> @ajbrehm , If your statement below is correct ...
> 
>  "...the community license program will be extended to include x86
>  OpenVMS in Quarter 1 of 2023."

Not his statement.

> Then why even to today the registration page for the Community License ...
> Still shows ...

I'm not an authority, but I believe that the plan was to enable
Community access to x86_64 when some native compilers were ready, which
at one time was expected in 1Q 2023.  My guess is that this software
(unlike software in general?) is a little behind its original schedule.

Releasing incomplete/buggy software to a new batch of non-paying
users might not be the best way to make progress toward better software,
especially if the primary goal is to satisfy the paying customers.

andrewback
Visitor

Post by andrewback » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:31 pm

madsweeney wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:34 pm
The Atom project as shown in the YouTube video is not a VMS Software Inc. product. As Andrew pointed out using OpenVMS on Atom or similar devices is different from Linux which is obtained freely. VMS Software is not further promoting the Atom project now or into the future. VMS Software is concentrating on OpenVMS in virtual environments, not on hardware devices.

You may have heard in Tuesday's VMS Webinar VMS Software Inc. announced the community license program will be extended to include x86 OpenVMS in Quarter 1 of 2023. Community membership allows non-commercial use of OpenVMS like basic research, open source porting, hobbyist use, etc. If you apply and are accepted to the x86 community program, you can perform any research you wish like device driver development.
It is a shame this isn't being developed or released even, as I've used UP boards and found them pretty nice, worked on IoT device projects and was quite excited by this prospect. Particularly now as a community program member I've run the x86_64 port via KVM/Qemu on my laptop and experienced how speedy it is. An appropriately tailored OpenVMS could be interesting in the device space. Plus of course a modern, low cost, low power, compact platform for hobbyists and open source devs to run the OS on bare metal would be great to have.

In any case, I can appreciate the need to focus resources on customer priorities, but wondered if the drivers could at least be made available such that the more intrepid could attempt to get OpenVMS running on UP and similar boards?