Community Licence - Where is the COBOL compiler?

Topic author
naiac

Community Licence - Where is the COBOL compiler?

Post by naiac » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:26 am

I'm totally new to OpenVMS, and I'm of the unlucky ones that got OpenVMS x86_64 in the form of a demo image file.

When I do SHOW LICENSES I see COBOL among a few others. But when I try to invoke the compiler I get an error. If I do PRODUCT SHOW OBJECT /PRODUCT=COBOL I get 0 files found. SAme for BASIC.

Does this mean the COBOL compiler is not installed?

reinhardtjh
Active Contributor

Re: Community Licence - Where is the COBOL compiler?

Post by reinhardtjh » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 pm

sms wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm
product show product pascal
pascal /version

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8860&start=10#p20875
I fell int that trap too when I reported the contents of the CLP vmdk. I forgot that PASCAL is still a VMSINSTAL product and won't show up when you do a PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT *.

It does show when you

Code: Select all

$ type sys$update:VMSINSTAL.HISTORY

VMSINSTAL Product Installation History File

VMSINSTAL header format written on 18-MAR-2024

S = Success  HPC = HP  Signed  NA = Not Applicable  U = Unsigned
F = Failure  VSI = VSI Signed  NV = Not Validated

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Information                                                 | Installation Information
--------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------
Name                     | Mnemonic         | Version | Date        | Status| IVP   | Node   | Installer    | VALSIGN
--------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------
                         | PASCAL           |  6.3    | 18-MAR-2024 | S     | S     | V922   | SYSTEM       | VSI

Based on the install dates I would have thought that COBOL and BLISS could have been installed as "production" releases to them were announced 28-FEB-2024 and it appears that the LP were installed to this disk image about 2 weeks after that.
John H. Reinhardt
  • VMS user since 1981