Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
babydr
Valued Contributor

Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Post by babydr » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:34 pm

Hello All , Having very recently registered for Community License
But previous the above by (approx.) 14days for Beta tests ,
I've seen No responses from VSI or anything .

I've registered for Beta tests using babyd(at)baby-dragons.com .
I've registered for Community using jiml(at)system-techniques.com .

What I am hoping to find is a URL resource where I can see that my registerings are in progress or there are problems contacting me via the above email addresses or ???

Tia , JimL

Topic author
babydr
Valued Contributor

Re: Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Post by babydr » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:08 pm

@Marty.Stu , Having just searched the Forum Faq & Forum Topic (& the Agreement With Arne's kind help) .

I find There is no mention of an issue that You have IMO Proclaimed .
Mentioning not to Publicly post items that are produced by VSI (IE: partial & Editted contents of a LIcense files) .

Please Again I ask of You to please provide a Url to a document with said disclaimer .

Understanding that your time is also otherwise consumed by more useful itmes than my request .
Tia , JimL

Too continue ...

@Marty.Stu & All , I think I just found it . This is not a disclosure in this forum . It is from a patch kit .pdf file ...
(Which I might add that once printed is darned near unreadable in its font size & boldness . But I digress .)

It's from the ...
9 COPYRIGHT
* VMS SOFTWARE, INC. CONFIDENTIAL. This software is confidential *
* proprietary software licensed by VMS Software, Inc., and is not * <<<
* authorized to be used, duplicated or disclosed to anyone without * <<<
* the prior written permission of VMS Software, Inc. * <<<
* Copyright 2023 VMS Software, Inc. *
Last edited by babydr on Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Post by marty.stu » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:02 pm

Hi Jim,

Although you have found one of the relevant statements, here are other important parts of the agreement that may be overlooked by those who agree on the Community License terms and conditions now or in the future. The following quotations are taken exclusively from the Agreement. The parts that we consider important for this case are marked in bold:
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the payment of any applicable license fee, VSI grants You a non-exclusive, non-transferable revocable licenseto Use (as defined below) the Software in object code form as provided to you by VSI, solely for Non-commercial purposes. You may Use Software only as provided for, and in connection with either Alpha, Integrity, or x86-64 processor-based servers, and/or emulators and/or hypervisors, as agreed by You and VSI. “Use” means to install, store, load, execute and/or display results or output of the Software in accordance with the Specifications. Some Software may require license keys or contain other technical protection measures. You acknowledge that VSI may monitor your compliance with Use restrictions remotely or otherwise, and you agree to provide reasonable cooperation in connection therewith.
Non-transferable license means that the software cannot be anyhow shared publicly.
Extending the use of Software to any person or entity other than You as a function of providing services, (i.e making the Software available through a commercial timesharing or service bureau) must be authorized in writing by VSI prior to such use and may require additional licenses and fees. You may not publish distribute, resell, or sublicense the Software.
Again, this paragraph states that you cannot share or redistribute the software.

However, there are several important issues with this agreement, such as missing definition of a PAK and the license script. These parts indeed need more detailed and clear explanations, so we will work on an update.

Thank you for drawing our attention to this issue.
Last edited by marty.stu on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

Topic author
babydr
Valued Contributor

Post by babydr » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:21 pm

@Marty.Stu , Thank You , As well for laying out the underlying issues which you mentioned to my insertion of a Portion of the License Pak . Yes , While the License Pak is not specifically mentioned in the above , It is a Necessary portion of said Software(s) .

Tnx , JimL

poorfellow

Post by poorfellow » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:55 pm

oknop wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:12 am
Hi Marty,

I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest in the community license. Thanks for all your effort in this.

Thanks,

Oswald
Agreed. I think it's awesome, as someone who had Cutler as a visiting "Professor/Lecturer". VMS isn't dead yet... too bad about HP-UX, though. I had a conversation with their dev team, and they called-off the x86 port, as well as anything beyond the 2020s. I have PA-RISC and Itanium, late models, here. Sad.
Last edited by poorfellow on Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
babydr
Valued Contributor

Post by babydr » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 pm

While disliking rehashing old conversations ...

Again , I submitted a request/registered for the Community license (ie: .vmdk) .

I believe I did so the day or day after the announcement of the change to the CL program .

I have not received any corrispondence regard my application .

I am aware there is a deep pool of request for registration (again) .

all I am doing is mentioning that no correspondence has been rcvd .

Tia , JimL