Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
babydr
Valued Contributor

Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Post by babydr » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:34 pm

Hello All , Having very recently registered for Community License
But previous the above by (approx.) 14days for Beta tests ,
I've seen No responses from VSI or anything .

I've registered for Beta tests using babyd(at)baby-dragons.com .
I've registered for Community using jiml(at)system-techniques.com .

What I am hoping to find is a URL resource where I can see that my registerings are in progress or there are problems contacting me via the above email addresses or ???

Tia , JimL

gdwnldsksc
Contributor

Re: Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Post by gdwnldsksc » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:05 am

I've found these are basically 'fire and forget' items, that take a while to go through/process.

Especially the community license, as they still haven't processed all the pre-existing users yet (they're apparently doing batches every friday, i've read/heard) of people who already had/have community/hobbyist licenses for Alpha and Itanium in order of registration starting oldest first. They haven't even touched new registrations for x86 yet from what i've seen posted here.

I recall it being a couple of weeks before I got my x86 Eval approval, IIRC almost a month for my community license when they opened up their program after HPe closed theirs.

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: Having registered for Community License and for any Beta tests , No responses ...

Post by marty.stu » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:17 am

Hi all,

We got lots of applications that we need to handle. It is 100s, if not 1000s percent more compared to what we had anytime before, except for a couple of months after this program was initiated, so please be patient. Once we check your application, we will let you know. We have seen both of your applications and will check them in their turn.

Thank you,

VMS Software Community License Team
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

oknop
Visitor

Post by oknop » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:12 am

Hi Marty,

I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest in the community license. Thanks for all your effort in this.

Thanks,

Oswald

Topic author
babydr
Valued Contributor

Post by babydr » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:37 am

Hello All , I highly agree with "oknop" , And yes am quite glad that O'l O'penVMS got ported to the X86 family .

But My main reason for posting was to have this ansered ...

"What I am hoping to find is a URL resource where I can see that my registerings are in progress or there are problems contacting me via the above email addresses or ???"

Tia , JimL
Patient I am being .

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Post by marty.stu » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:46 am

Hi Jim

The community license application queue and your place in it is internal information that we do not share in public. There is no problem with either of your applications, it is just that we have too many users interested in the community license that we need to handle. We will reach you once your turn comes.

Thank you,

VMS Software Community License team

aedens
Visitor

Post by aedens » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:20 am

The registration page does state "After your email is confirmed, it may take us up to 48 hours to process your request."
Might it be an idea to update that text to not state such a specific time frame?

It's completely understandable that it takes a bit longer due to a lot more applications, but that text on the page does raise some expectations :)
I came here with the same question; I applied for an x86 license last week, but still no response...

(Which is fine, no hurry or anything; but I did make me wonder if something might have gone wrong, and whether I should contact anyone or resubmit the request... - Good I found and checked the forum so I now know to just wait patiently :))

Topic author
babydr
Valued Contributor

Post by babydr » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:02 pm

Hello Powers That Be , Having been quiet for more than a month . There is still no response for my regestrations .
Understanding that there may still be a significant number of back logged requests , Cna we at least get a status of the present number of outstanding requests ?

Tia , JimL

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Post by marty.stu » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:06 pm

Hello Jim,

The number of the requests exceeds 800 at the moment, and these are only community license requests that are checked and approved on an individual basis, while we also need to process commercial customers. Your request is in the queue, it is not lost.

arne_v
Master

Post by arne_v » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:13 pm

I suspect that VSI is a bit overwhelmed by the huge interest for VMS x86-64.

But even though it may be a bit stressful right now, then it also look promising for the future.

A lot of the interest is pure hobbyist and will not lead to immediate sales. But it shows that VMS is not forgotten. There is interest for VMS around. And long term that interest should help sales.
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986