x86 enabled on registration page

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
whcox53

x86 enabled on registration page

Post by whcox53 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:12 am

I notice this morning that the x86 platform is now enabled on the Community License Registration page.

As I am already licensed for alpha and received the "You are granted access.....at some point" email, I am assuming that I don't need to register for the x86 at this time. I am guessing those that register now will go to the end of the queue if they aren't already pre-registered due to earlier licenses.

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: x86 enabled on registration page

Post by marty.stu » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:40 am

Hi whcox53,

Yes, no one who already has access to the community license for any architecture will eventually get it. Your guess is also correct as new x86 applications will be put to the queue and will only be checked after we get through the rest of the application that are quite numerous these days.

Hope you understand.

VMS Software Community License Team
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

volkerhalle
Master

Post by volkerhalle » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:08 am

marty.stu wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:40 am
Yes, no one who already has access to the community license for any architecture will eventually get it.
Marty,

what exactly are your telling us here ? That 'no one' will get access or that 'everyone' will eventually get access...

Please clarify.

Volker.

kerky

Post by kerky » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:19 am

volkerhalle wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:08 am
marty.stu wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:40 am
Yes, no one who already has access to the community license for any architecture will eventually get it.
Marty,

what exactly are your telling us here ? That 'no one' will get access or that 'everyone' will eventually get access...

Please clarify.

Volker.
Nur ruhig Blut, Namensvetter!
(Keep calm, dear namesake)

That means everybody will eventually get access.

They will be using the same distribution mechanisms for software than paying clients, and these have priority, so thay are giving everybody who already has an Alpha or IA64 license access gradually over the next 3 months, as stated elswehere in the forum here. Only after that will they give access to new X86 Hobbyist License applications, which I personally think well be a lot, as now you no longer need expensive or relatively "experimental" emulators, expensive commercial ones or the real "old" hardware to run this great OS.

Let's also hope we don't get something similar to an "eternal September" and the newcomers abide by the license terms and behave as we all have done in the past, and don't ruin it for everybody, about which I have slight fears.

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Post by marty.stu » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:17 am

volkerhalle wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:08 am
Marty,

Please clarify.

Volker.
Hi Volker,

This was a typo. Obviously, we meant that everyone whose application for Alpha or Integrity was approved will eventually get access to the x86 license, just not immediately and at the same time.

Apologies for the confusion.

VMS Software Community License Team
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.