Download OpenVMS x86 - cannot login, even if i received an e-mail that i got the license

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
colt2x

Download OpenVMS x86 - cannot login, even if i received an e-mail that i got the license

Post by colt2x » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:29 am

Hi,

I have applied to the Hobbyist license, and now got the mail that i'll be abl to access the installer.
Strangely i haven't got any username saved (i usually save my logins to a password manager, so it should be there), and more strangely i cannot reset my password for none of my mail addresses.

So it's a vague for me that how to access te installer? How to gain access to https://sp.vmssoftware.com/ ?

If anybody can help, i'll be thankful :)

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: Download OpenVMS x86 - cannot login, even if i received an e-mail that i got the license

Post by marty.stu » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:31 am

Hi @colt2x,

Please pay attention to the following statement:
To ensure priority is given to commercial paying customers, the community is being given access gradually.

Until you get a separate email with the instructions on how to get the x86 kit, you will not be able to access any files needed to run OpenVMS on this architecture.

Apologies for the confusion.
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

Topic author
colt2x

Re: Download OpenVMS x86 - cannot login, even if i received an e-mail that i got the license

Post by colt2x » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:12 am

Hi,

OK, thanks. This seems acceptable :)

xenophore
Visitor

Post by xenophore » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:08 am

marty.stu wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:31 am
Hi @colt2x,

Please pay attention to the following statement:
To ensure priority is given to commercial paying customers, the community is being given access gradually.

Until you get a separate email with the instructions on how to get the x86 kit, you will not be able to access any files needed to run OpenVMS on this architecture.

Apologies for the confusion.
What's frustrating is that many of us were able to get in for a period of time and have now been locked back out indefinitely. I have V9.2-1 up and running in Virtualbox thanks to a couple of posts in the OpenVMS subreddit but now will basically put both it and my enthusiasm back on the shelf for an unknown period of time. :|
Peter Cox, CISSP
Remember when we replaced all the orange binders with the grey binders?

Topic author
colt2x

Post by colt2x » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:46 am

You're more luckier :D I don't have an instance of it, and i want to learn VMS (great and interesting to have a knowledge of something that is far different from X86 *nix and Windows), but cannot even start :D

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Post by marty.stu » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:50 am

Everyone,

Sooner or later, everyone whom we granted access to the Alpha and/or Integrity community license to will be given access to their account on the Portal. The sooner you applied for the license, the earlier this will happen. We hope to provide access to everyone in a matter of weeks. To give you an idea of when your time comes, for now, about 200 accounts are activated on the Portal and we will send the instructions to another batch very soon.

We really appreciate everyone's interest in the program which is very obvious considering the number of threads created on the forum in the last couple of weeks and the number of applications since the x86 community license was announced. Please stay patient for some more time, it should not take long.

Kind regards,

Community License Team
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

movesen

Post by movesen » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:34 pm

If you receive an e-mail, then just use the link and then specify your e-mail and request to reset your password. That worked fine yesterday for me.

dmccorm1
Contributor

Post by dmccorm1 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:04 am

marty.stu wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:50 am
Everyone,

Sooner or later, everyone whom we granted access to the Alpha and/or Integrity community license to will be given access to their account on the Portal. The sooner you applied for the license, the earlier this will happen. We hope to provide access to everyone in a matter of weeks. To give you an idea of when your time comes, for now, about 200 accounts are activated on the Portal and we will send the instructions to another batch very soon.

We really appreciate everyone's interest in the program which is very obvious considering the number of threads created on the forum in the last couple of weeks and the number of applications since the x86 community license was announced. Please stay patient for some more time, it should not take long.

Kind regards,

Community License Team
I and others were initially able to log in to sp.vmssoftware.com to download packages & licenses, and do the initial system install. But on returning a few days later to download additional packages we were told that our accounts are disabled. Is this related to the gradual rollout you describe above or is this a completely separate issue?

Also, if we have received the email like the one in my screenshot below, can you confirm that we have no further action to take at this time, i.e. that we don't need to apply for x86 access and will receive access eventually in one of these batches?
Screenshot from 2023-04-24 10-01-22.png

whcox53

Post by whcox53 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:56 am

The problem is that the letter we received was poorly worded. The first sentence that read "you are being granted access..." should have said "you will be granted access...". As the wording later in the paragraph indicates the granting of access is being rolled out slowly so the we hobbyists don't swamp the service portal, which is the same place that customers go to download packages. The letter was meant to reassure existing hobbyists that they would be getting access. Unfortunately, the wording just added to the confusion.

The fact that you were able to get into the portal to start downloading was an accident. It appears that they set up the accounts in advance and controlled the rollout by parceling out the letters with the links. Once someone mentioned they were able to get in, they closed the whole.

I got the letter with the links on Friday and was able to get in and download the software.

If you registered for an alpha or itanium license in the past you are already on the list. If you never registered then you can now register for x86 on the community registration page.

bill