OpenVMS x86 Community/Hobbyist License

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
medleyb
Visitor

OpenVMS x86 Community/Hobbyist License

Post by medleyb » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:52 pm

This item is not present on the roadmap. I am running VMWare Workstation Player and was wondering when this will be available. Thank you.

dmccorm1
Contributor

Re: OpenVMS x86 Community/Hobbyist License

Post by dmccorm1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:05 am

I *was* making great progress configuring my dev environment for OpenVMS x86. The C compiler is working, the SSH stuff is working, etc. But when I went back to sp.vmssoftware.com a number of days ago to download some additional packages, including the all important C++ compiler, it told me that my account was disabled. I posted in these forums and a VSI employee replied to say they would reenable my account. But it remains disabled today. Anyone else else having problems with sp.*?

steve
Visitor

Post by steve » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:38 pm

Yes, it happened to me too. I got an email saying I had been granted access, so I thought I had been granted access. I got onto the Portal and downloaded the OE and license PAK, and spent last weekend getting set up. Then when I tried to go back for compilers I found my account disabled.

dmccorm1
Contributor

Post by dmccorm1 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:51 am

Sorry to hear you're affected but I'm glad to know it's not just me!

If anyone from VSI is reading, could they check out why this is happening?

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Post by marty.stu » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:14 pm

Hi @steve, @dmccorm1,

As some of the community users noticed and reported here and on the email, you got access to the x86 community license and then suddenly your permission was revoked. This happened because many of you got access to the community license a little too soon which was against our plan. The announcement through the email that was publicly sent to the community users was slightly controversial and therefore confusing, so this is why this situation took place. However, please pay attention to the following statement from the announcement:
To ensure priority is given to commercial paying customers, the community is being given access gradually.
We didn't plan to give access to the x86 community license to everyone straight away and intended to provide it to the community users in batches, sending them the instructions in groups. However, this information was quite quickly shared on the Internet, and we had to remove access from the accounts that were not part of the first three batches that indeed were to get access to the community license. We will reopen access to the accounts that are currently blocked in their own turn, you just need to wait until your turn comes. Please pay attention to this statement as well as it explains our position better: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8542&p=18087#p18087.

Thank you,

VMS Software Community License Team
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

e-man
Visitor

Post by e-man » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:37 am

marty.stu wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:20 pm
Hi,

The community and ISV licenses for OpenVMS for x86 are not available right now; we are working on them and will notify you when we start accepting submissions. The best time period of its availability that we can currently specify is that we will open access to x86 for community use after the C and C++ native compilers are available which is currently planned for the first half of this year.
Hello,

I guess this explains why I have been waiting for over 2 weeks for a hobbyist community license ? How would we know when the community are licenses are available again.

thanks,

E

dmjb
Active Contributor

Post by dmjb » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:13 pm

You are quoting a post from over a year ago. There is a queue to get access to the community licenses, you may have to wait some time to gain access to them.

mister.moderator
Site Admin
Contributor

Post by mister.moderator » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:03 am

Acquiring a Hobby license for any architecture can take time as we still have hundreds of requests we have to examine and decide upon. To submit your request you should go here and fill out the form:

https://vmssoftware.com/community/community-license/
VMS Forum Moderator
VMS Forum Administrator

imiller
Master

Post by imiller » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:59 am

is the form for applying for a hobbyist licence working?
I've filled it in and pressed Send and it's been showing waiting pattern for hours.
Ian Miller
[ personal opinion only. usual disclaimers apply. Do not taunt happy fun ball ].

mister.moderator
Site Admin
Contributor

Post by mister.moderator » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:17 am

This is under investigation at this time. I too am seeing the same issue and have contacted those in charge of the Community Application process internally.
VMS Forum Moderator
VMS Forum Administrator