OpenVMS x86 Community/Hobbyist License

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
medleyb
Visitor

OpenVMS x86 Community/Hobbyist License

Post by medleyb » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:52 pm

This item is not present on the roadmap. I am running VMWare Workstation Player and was wondering when this will be available. Thank you.

marty.stu
Site Admin
Valued Contributor

Re: OpenVMS x86 Community/Hobbyist License

Post by marty.stu » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:20 pm

Hi,

The community and ISV licenses for OpenVMS for x86 are not available right now; we are working on them and will notify you when we start accepting submissions. The best time period of its availability that we can currently specify is that we will open access to x86 for community use after the C and C++ native compilers are available which is currently planned for the first half of this year.
Last edited by marty.stu on Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run to the bedroom, In the suitcase on the left You'll find my favorite axe.

martin
Valued Contributor

Post by martin » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:34 am

@marty.stu Thanks for the update. I was wondering when they might be available, but didn't want to pester the forum.
Martin
  • Retired System Manager: VMS/UNIX/UNICOS/Linux.
  • Started on a VAX 11/782 in 1984 with VMS 3.6.

arne_v
Master

Post by arne_v » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:47 pm

I think a lot of people are interested in this.

May I suggest putting it on the VMS roadmap.
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986

sword7

Post by sword7 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:39 am

Yes, I am interested in that. I am still waiting for x86 community license, but I learned that some already got them according to info-vax mailing list. I checked CLP application page but x86 option is disabled.

madsweeney
VSI Expert
Active Contributor

Post by madsweeney » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:35 am

Access to the community license and software is being rolled out gradually. The access is being given by the date from which existing community members applied, i.e. Those in the Integrity and Alpha community the longest are given preference. There are over 1300 applicants and the same mechanisms used to distribute software to commercial customers are used for the community. Unleashing all applicants simultaneously on the portal was deemed too risky to commercial customers. Paying customers get preference over free services.

We appreciate your patience.
Dave Sweeney
CEO
VMS Software, Inc.
Boston, MA USA

martin
Valued Contributor

Post by martin » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:19 am

That seems perfectly reasonable. Thanks for the update.
Martin
  • Retired System Manager: VMS/UNIX/UNICOS/Linux.
  • Started on a VAX 11/782 in 1984 with VMS 3.6.

vaxman65

Post by vaxman65 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:48 am

I got the email from VSI with the same announcement. What was missing was information about how this would work. Are individuals to expect a personalized email invitation when it is their turn?

-- Peter

raymii
Contributor

Post by raymii » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:43 am

madsweeney wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:35 am
There are over 1300 applicants and the same mechanisms used to distribute software to commercial customers are used for the community. Unleashing all applicants simultaneously on the portal was deemed too risky to commercial customers. Paying customers get preference over free services.

We appreciate your patience.
Over 1300 applicants, that sound like a whole lot. Could you maybe tell a bit more on the progress of the hobbyist program amounts? Did the x86 release give an influx of new applicants, or was it a stable (growth) already?

movesen

Post by movesen » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:31 pm

I have been working for DEC about 15 years and installed many VMS, OpenVMS on both VAX and Alpha system and cluster in Denmark. I still beleive OpenVMS is one of the best Operating Systems I have worked with.

Yesterday I got granted to the OpenVMS x86 Community/Hobbyist license and 1 hour after I got the Virtual Box up running and OpenVMS started to boot then I was able to login ;)

Today got TCP/IP networking working and installed all app licenses PAKS and customized the system.

Great work and special thanks to Raymii.org, where I found some very good guides to get over the initial issues/problems.

I strongly recommend reading: https://raymii.org/s/blog/OpenVMS_9.2_f ... art_2.html