FreeAXP+Wi-Fi

Topic author
paolo_r
Contributor

FreeAXP+Wi-Fi

Post by paolo_r » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:18 pm

I'm running FreeAXP/OpenVMS on an ethernet linked laptop which, amongst other things, allows me to use FTP to communicate with my host laptop and use VMS-IDE to do OpenVMS work and communicate with the emulated operating system,

On another laptop I only have wi-fi (not ethernet) and, having studied the VirtualAlpha User Guide, I find I need to establish a bridge TAP adapter to make wi-fi work. This takes me way out of my knowledge zone.

Has anyone set up a wi-fi based FreeAXP/OpenVMS working system with FTP access? If so can you provide any info on how to set up such a system?

I'm running Windows 10.

Thanks

Topic author
paolo_r
Contributor

Re: FreeAXP+Wi-Fi

Post by paolo_r » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:24 pm

Well everybody must still be running on ethernet or it's too difficult to set up FreeAXP on wi-fi ;)

bclaremont

Post by bclaremont » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:10 pm

Continuity in Computing: Founded in 1992, Migration Specialties offers modern solutions for legacy VAX and Alpha installations along with OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix support. Visit our web site for more information.

Topic author
paolo_r
Contributor

Post by paolo_r » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Thanks.

Unfortunately there are no Ethernet drivers available on the Intel website for my wi-fi adapater (Killer 1535 Wireless).

However, since I have VirtualBox and VMWare also on my laptop there are drivers installed for VirtualBox Host Only Ethernet adapter, VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapter VM1 and VM8 plus a Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter. As I am not exactly an expert in networking I am not sure whether any of these virtual adapters could be used to bridge with my wi-fi. Also does it matter which one I choose?

bclaremont

Post by bclaremont » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:58 am

I doubt it matters much. A simpler fix might be to acquire one (or even two) USB NICs and use them.
Continuity in Computing: Founded in 1992, Migration Specialties offers modern solutions for legacy VAX and Alpha installations along with OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix support. Visit our web site for more information.

Topic author
paolo_r
Contributor

Post by paolo_r » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:14 pm

OK. I'll try with on of the virtual adapters first and then get a USB NIC if that fails. Thanks