OpenVMS mailbox - logging

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
garyrevell
Active Contributor

OpenVMS mailbox - logging

Post by garyrevell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi all,

We've got a complex application that makes a lot of use of mailbox interprocess communication, there are many processes and differing messages.

My question are.... is there a way of seeing what messages & contents are in the mbx without actually reading them via a $QIO(W)? Perhaps there's a tool or example program that allows access to the data in an mbx via system services etc?

Thanks!

Gary

volkerhalle
Master

Re: OpenVMS mailbox - logging

Post by volkerhalle » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:23 am

Gary,

just checked - I did not receive any private message in the VSI forum.

You can use my mail address from my MBOX source change comment from 2005, it's still valid ;-)

Volker.

imiller
Master

Post by imiller » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:15 am

MBU is a program for looking at, creating and deleting mailboxes.
MBMON is for seeing what is being written to mailbox as it happens and is intended to aid debugging of applications which use mailboxes for interprocess communcations.

I wrote them many years ago and not looked at them for years. I've not built them on recent versions of VMS but could have a go if you tell me which version of VMS you are using.
Ian Miller
[ personal opinion only. usual disclaimers apply. Do not taunt happy fun ball ].

arne_v
Master

Post by arne_v » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm

VMS mailboxes are brilliant in the context where memory is counted in KB.

But if memory is counted in GB then it may not the optimal solution.

Switching to a standard message queue (VSI supports ActiveMQ) would make stuff like this easy.

writer-->MBX-->reader becomes writer-->MQ-->reader and are basically the same, but there are a lot extras.

Getting messages written and read logged is just something that is configured in the log configuration.
Arne
arne@vajhoej.dk
VMS user since 1986