Printer

Everything about buying, using, and managing OpenVMS systems not covered by other sections.

Topic author
lilgeek
Visitor

Printer

Post by lilgeek » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Okay, so, I'm frustrated. My first experience with VMS was on a VAX-11/780 at my college that was an upgrade from a PDP-11/40 in the (very) early '80s. Now I find myself resurrecting a system on a RX2800 that I hadn't seen, heard, or thought about for over 10 years and its almost ready. But...

It needs a printer. What low volume laser printers WITHOUT WIFI that are currently purchasable will work with DCPS 2.7?

It looks like all of the printers listed in the SPD are no longer available for sale.

Thanks.

agn453
Contributor

Re: Printer

Post by agn453 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:20 pm

I use a multifunction Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M355 df (monochrome). It has built-in genuine Postscript 3 fonts, supports a range of network protocols and duplex printing. The printer-only model is a P355 d.

Tweaking DCPS with the logical name DCPS$queuename_PRODUCT_NAME set to "HPGENERIC" and it works just like an LPS40 with duplex! Works great from my mac and PCs too. It's out-of-production so you might get a "clearance special" from one of the major office supply retailers.

The current printer-only comparable model is a DocuPrint P375 dw.

https://www.fujixerox.com.au/en/Product ... nt-P375-dw

(I'm in Australia - so no guarantees about other regions availability)

Tony

Topic author
lilgeek
Visitor

Post by lilgeek » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:32 am

Unfortunately I'm located in the US and the company doesn't want to move. It doesn't seem like the docuprint line is available in the US. Anyone with other options?

reinhardtjh
Active Contributor

Post by reinhardtjh » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:56 am

I have an HP LaserJet 4050DTN (duplex, extra paper try, network card) that works great on DCPS. They or the later 4100 are available on Ebay for under $150. You may even be able to find one close to you for pickup. If it ends up being shipped make sure they remove the toner cartridge or you'll have a nasty mess when it arrives. I just got a NOS genuine HP c4127x toner cartridge foe mine under $30. Last me several years.
John H. Reinhardt
  • VMS user since 1981