Inquiry to next Clang update.

Topic author
soutbarr
Active Contributor

Inquiry to next Clang update.

Post by soutbarr » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:36 am

C++23 is fast approaching. Is there any clue when vsi Clang will catch up to the standard?

jreagan
VSI Expert
Master

Re: Inquiry to next Clang update.

Post by jreagan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 am

There is the compiler piece and the library piece.

For the compiler itself, I would like to refresh to a newer clang/LLVM (hopefully clang 16 or higher) later this year, but nothing to promise yet.

It is usually the RTLs that need the real work. For example, we don't even do all the C++17 libraries yet.

For those who care, here's the clang C++ status page https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html

Topic author
soutbarr
Active Contributor

Post by soutbarr » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:17 pm

wonder why I only just now saw this when I've been active in the forum all week. Anyways, it also requires a complete C library to stand on. Is the c compiler (cc) also clang?

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
wonder why I only just now saw this when I've been active in the forum all week. Anyways, it also requires a complete C library to stand on. Is the c compiler (cc) also clang?

dmjb
Valued Contributor

Post by dmjb » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:20 am

The C compiler is still DEC C. DEC C has a bunch of extensions which a lot of VMS code relies on.

Topic author
soutbarr
Active Contributor

Post by soutbarr » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:35 am

Does the clang compiler rely on the Dec C (C Standard) library or does it rely on its own?

Though yes I'm aware there is a variety of Posix in the Dec C library. Let me see, in order to be C99 compliant I have to include <complex.h> before <math.h>

I could go through and check to ensure every library has everything the standard should have. As for libraries Dec C is not 100% C99 compliant, it lacks <fenv.h>. There are no libaries from C11 or C23. Although some of those libraries could be written in part to full without all compiler features. threads.h could be defined as an interface over the posix like threads.
Last edited by soutbarr on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.