OpenVMS Update 9.2-2 - Keeps rebooting

Having difficulties when installing the system? Your system runs slowly and requires some tweaking? You can get help here.

Topic author
indy

OpenVMS Update 9.2-2 - Keeps rebooting

Post by indy » Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 am

Hi

I installed the update to OpenVMS 9.2-2. After the known issues with SSH it was OK.

The system reported to reboot and run AUTOGEN to determine the system configuration.

The problem is, that the system keeps rebooting. I do not see a relevant message on the console. I attached the log of one of those reboots.

I am running OpenVMS on VMware Player 17.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Reboot-Log.txt
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by indy on Mon May 06, 2024 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

joukj
Master

Re: OpenVMS Update 9.2-2 - Keeps rebooting

Post by joukj » Mon May 06, 2024 9:27 am

The error in the bugcheck tells you that you try to use disk-shadowing with the alloclass defined to 0.
The system disk is now 1$dka0. If the alloclass would be 1 it would be $1$dka0.

Did you enable shadowing somewhere? So : give some more info on the configuration!!

To solve you need either to disable the shadowing or define a alloclass. (normally done in sys$system:modparams.dat followed by an @sys$update:autogen getdata reboot

m_detommaso
Valued Contributor

Post by m_detommaso » Mon May 06, 2024 9:34 am

Your VM goes in crash :

**** OpenVMS x86_64 Operating System V9.2-2 - BUGCHECK ****

** Bugcheck code = 00000B14: SHDWREQALLOC, Allocation class is required for shadow set members
** Crash Time: 6-MAY-2024 11:12:29.11
** Crash CPU: 00000000 Primary CPU: 00000000 Node Name: 1
** Highest CPU number: 00000001
** Active CPUs: 00000000.00000003
** Current Process: "SYSINIT"
** Current PSB ID: 00000001
** Image Name: SYSINIT.EXE

This means that your sys$system:modparams.dat is not consistent with your VMS configuration and after autogen the kernel parameters were set to incorrect values:

hypothesis 1: you are using HBVS - kernel parameters SHADOWING=2 and ALLOCLASS=0
In this case, from sysboot, adjust the alloclass parameter

hypothesis 2: you are not using HBVS but the SHADOWING kernel parameter is not equal to 0
In this case, from sysboot, set SHADOWING=0

Once the server is started, also fix the sys$system:modparams.dat.

I hope this helps,
/Maurizio
Last edited by m_detommaso on Tue May 07, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
indy

Post by indy » Mon May 06, 2024 10:52 am

HI Maurizio
This error message was supicous, but I do not use the shadowing functionality - yet. So it is hypothesis 2.

I started the system with SYSBOOT option, set SHADOWING to 0 - did check it - and then continued.

The error is still coming up, and after a reboot cycle I am back at the SYSBOOT prompt.
I tried to change the startup file with the hope that the system starts up - no success either.
I am not used to work on that level, since I never had a problem with OpenVMS.

I guess something else is missing or wrong. Any idea?

Thank you very much for the quick answer.

m_detommaso
Valued Contributor

Post by m_detommaso » Mon May 06, 2024 2:10 pm

Please, from boot manager, capture and post the output of the following command :

BOOTMGR> DEVICE

while from sysboot, capture and post the output of the following commands (execute the commands with exactly the same syntax) :

SYSBOOT> SHO SHAD
SYSBOOT> SHOW ALLOCLASS
SYSBOOT> SHOW STARTUP

/Maurizio
Last edited by m_detommaso on Tue May 07, 2024 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

snadow
Contributor

Post by snadow » Mon May 06, 2024 4:16 pm

Agreeing with m_detommaso, there's something that's setting SHADOWING to 2 while ALLOCLASS is set to 0.

Since you implied that you were able to do a conversational boot and set SHADOWING to 0 then continue, but you encountered the same problem upon reboot, I'd guess that you've got something in MODPARAMS.DAT that's causing the problem - AUTOGEN is apparently running when the system successfully boots, it sets the parameters into that inconsistent state (SHADOWING=2 while ALLOCLASS=0) then the next reboot fails again.

You need to break-out of a successful boot before AUTOGEN triggers the next reboot, and examine MODPARAMS.DAT and fix-or-remove (as appropriate) the lines that set SHADOWING and ALLOCLASS.

Edit: I should also mention that after tweaking MODPARAMS.DAT you'll then need to run AUTOGEN through at least the SETPARAMS phase to make your updates take effect on the next reboot. MODPARAMS.DAT is only used by AUTOGEN so any changes that are made in that file won't have any impact whatsoever, if you don't run AUTOGEN.

Scott
Last edited by snadow on Mon May 06, 2024 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
indy

Post by indy » Fri May 10, 2024 5:59 am

Hi

I started the system with the SYSBOOT option and defined:
SYSBOOT> SET ALLOCLASS 1
SYSBOOT> SET SHADOWING 0

After that the system rebooted and I could update the system parameters und reboot the system successfully.

Thank you for your help. GREAT!