Virtualbox and VMDK

Having difficulties when installing the system? Your system runs slowly and requires some tweaking? You can get help here.

Topic author
aussiesusan
Visitor

Virtualbox and VMDK

Post by aussiesusan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:48 pm

Environment: Windows 11 (fully patched) on an IntelNUC PC.
Installed VirtualBox 7.0.14r161095.

From the email I have downloaded the VMDK zip file and expanded ot to get the 2 VMDK files ('community' at 637 bytes, and 'community_flat' at 5.37GB).

Using the link in the email (https://d2h1r304.na1.hubspotlinks.com/C ... jf9fL1Z204) and following the 'Windows GUI' section, I get to the guide in step 2 (https://docs.vmssoftware.com/vsi-openvm ... eateVboxVM) but there my problem starts.

Step b) says to set the ISO image to the OpenVMS ISO file - is that the VMDK? If so which one?

If I try to use the VMDK image (either one) I get
Failed to open the disk image file C:\Users\Susan\Downloads\community.vmdk.

The medium 'C:\Users\Susan\Downloads\community.vmdk' can't be used as the requested device type (DVD, detected HDD).

Result Code:E_FAIL (0X80004005)
Component:MediumWrap
Interface:IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee:IVirtualBox {7682d5eb-f00e-44f1-8ca2-99d08b1cd607}
Callee RC:VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0X80BB0001)
What am I doing worng?

Susan

craigberry
Contributor

Re: Virtualbox and VMDK

Post by craigberry » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:45 pm

What you're doing wrong is following the instructions :-). The general installation instructions assume you are trying to boot a virtual installation DVD, but I don't think that's what the VMDK is. I don't have one myself to document the exact steps, but you need to add a volume to your virtual machine in VirtualBox from the VMDK image and when it prompts you for type, tell it that it's a VMDK (Virtual Machine Disk), not an ISO.

Topic author
aussiesusan
Visitor

Post by aussiesusan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:58 pm

Thanks - that was it. I deleted the disk that I created when setting up the VM and connected the first drive to the 'community.vmdk' file which let me boot to DKA0.
Also I had to make a couple of adjustments so that Putty would handle the escape sequences and I now have a working system.
On with the 'play'!!!!
Susan

vmsxpert
Contributor

Post by vmsxpert » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:38 pm

I m facing the same prob on VM box as aussiesusan was facing . Can u pl elaborate on the settings of storage .I have two .vmdk files in community_package folder .

cct
Master

Post by cct » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:12 pm

Follow the links in the email, or above for instructions how to create a virtualbox VM
--
Chris

thorleif
Contributor

Post by thorleif » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 am

I changed to VDI format with

VBoxManage clonehd --format VDI mydisk.vmdk mydisk.vdi

Thorleifur

vmsxpert
Contributor

Post by vmsxpert » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:19 am

After I added vmdk file and VM1 got powered on.
But after reaching EFI shell i did this :
FS0:\\efi\vms>vms_bootmgr.efi <enter>
Command error status : Access Denied

Any clue here ...

Thanks
Sumit

drc68

Post by drc68 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:14 am

I used the community.vmdk as the disk, and configured all the settings according to the linked guides, but I'm getting an error: "This machine does NOT meet the requirements for running OpenVMS." Then it brings me to a BIOS setup screen, where I can select language and boot device, but selecting the VMDK yields the same results. What am I doing wrong? I used the settings exactly from the guide.

pocketprobe
Valued Contributor

Post by pocketprobe » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:24 am

drc68 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:14 am
I used the community.vmdk as the disk, and configured all the settings according to the linked guides, but I'm getting an error: "This machine does NOT meet the requirements for running OpenVMS." Then it brings me to a BIOS setup screen, where I can select language and boot device, but selecting the VMDK yields the same results. What am I doing wrong? I used the settings exactly from the guide.
Is the machine in question a Windows machine? Has it ever run Hyper-V or WSL?

snadow
Contributor

Post by snadow » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:18 pm

It's not pretty, but it's a start: I've written a brief document that takes VSI's instructions as a starting point, and have tweaked them for getting the community VMDK kit up-and-booted in VirtualBox under Windows. I've attached it to this post.

I don't claim any rights to it whatsoever, so feel free to use it, modify it, share it, wrap fish with it, or line bird cages with it.

Perhaps I'll get one "attaboy" from VSI for making a contribution to the community that they'd been hoping to see more of.

In advance, I apologize for the poor formatting. I don't have a PDF editor at my disposal, so using VSI's document meant copying-and-pasting from my screen into a Microsoft Word document. Likewise for their HTML web page.

The main point in doing this was to share info with my co-workers that try their best to support VMS but don't have much in the way of a "sandbox" system to play with and teach themselves. The community kit just might solve that for them.

Cheers,
Scott
Attachments
Modified instructions for using VSI's VMS Community VMDK kit instead of installing from ISO.docx
(23.28 KiB) Downloaded 39 times