Community X86: Where is the VMDK?

Having difficulties when installing the system? Your system runs slowly and requires some tweaking? You can get help here.

Topic author
snadow
Contributor

Community X86: Where is the VMDK?

Post by snadow » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:19 am

I can't believe that I'm asking this, but searching this forum and scouring all of my past emails from vmssoftware.com has come up empty. Somehow I must have missed something that's very VERY obvious but maybe I simply have an excessively high level of hemoglobin in my caffeine system. That's an attempt at humor.

From the 25-Mar-2024 announcement of changes to the community program:
A vmdk of a system disk with OpenVMS V9.2-2 and compilers installed and licensed will be provided, along with instructions to create a virtual machine and the SYSTEM password.
How do I get the vmdk file, now that my access to the portal seems to have been disabled as of 1-Apr-2024? (I can login, but the Packages screen says "No packages to show") Previously, I downloaded the V9.2-2 kit and compilers and all of that worked fine, but of course all the PAKs expired yesterday.

Scott

joukj
Master

Re: Community X86: Where is the VMDK?

Post by joukj » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:23 am

You are not the only one!!!!!

soutbarr
Active Contributor

Post by soutbarr » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:13 pm

Did you two get the Your Community License Package as a subject email? If you enable remote content it definitely shows a blue button to download the zip.

Topic author
snadow
Contributor

Post by snadow » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:58 pm

soutbarr wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:13 pm
Did you two get the Your Community License Package as a subject email?
I have not received any such email. Checked my spam filter too.

pocketprobe
Valued Contributor

Post by pocketprobe » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:15 pm

As I understand it, you have to reapply.

Topic author
snadow
Contributor

Post by snadow » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:10 pm

pocketprobe wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:15 pm
As I understand it, you have to reapply.
While nothing surprises me anymore, that certainly seems counter-intuitive to VSI's stated desire to not have to devote so many resources to administering the community licensing program. I still have the email that VSI sent to me 365 days ago, "Subject: x86 Community License Program Announcement", that gave me portal access with directions on how to login and access links to "instructional videos" that provided further details on how to download the software.

I would rather not re-apply for the Community License program if I don't have to. I realize it's a very short form but getting back into a lengthy queue and waiting weeks or months for someone to decide that I'm truly not going to start running a commercial enterprise with a community license... ugh. Perhaps if their short form had a checkbox that was labeled "I already had access before the April 2024 program revisions" I'd do it.

pocketprobe
Valued Contributor

Post by pocketprobe » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:33 pm

This is the same VSI that gave instructions on the forum how to sneak in early, and then booted out everyone who did after they were flooded. Perhaps with better organization and planning after seeing that surge they could have been less overwhelmed with the whole project.

soutbarr
Active Contributor

Post by soutbarr » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:35 pm

I got my e-mail and didn't have to re-apply.

reinhardtjh
Active Contributor

Post by reinhardtjh » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:45 pm

I got my email early Monday morning (US CDT). I did reapply Sunday evening just in case but I don't know if that had anything to do with it for sure. Probably not based on soutbarr's post.

I would hope that sending the email out to previous holders of the x86 CL should go quickly as if they sent it out once then there should be no need for the weeks of vetting previously done. I guess they have their reasons but it's sure not clear to the general peons.
John H. Reinhardt
  • VMS user since 1981

mister.moderator
Site Admin
Active Contributor

Post by mister.moderator » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:14 am

This week already we have processed over 1000 applications to get access to the community instance of x86 OpenVMS for the VMDK. This included some old applications as well so please check your inboxes and spam folders. If you have not received one yet and have only just applied then please be patient as we will get to you and thankfully the process is a lot faster than it once was.
VMS Forum Moderator
VMS Forum Administrator