Importing older disk images

Having difficulties when installing the system? Your system runs slowly and requires some tweaking? You can get help here.

Topic author
ashleyshepherd
Visitor

Importing older disk images

Post by ashleyshepherd » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:18 pm

Evening All,
First post, getting back into VMS after a few years off!
Apart from the fact that I am finding installation a right b@lls ache (I'll get there, but the docs seem less than complete) on ESXi 7, I'm also wondering if I can import/mount SATA disks (installed in a SCSI RAID box as JBOD - used with old VAX and Alpha systems) formatted as ODS2 (I think) from my old Alpha VMS systems (I would remove the disks from the RAID case and plug them in directly somehow as nothing supports SCSI any more :) ), or I have a disk image from my use of FreeAXP. Can I import that image?
Sorry for all the questions, but I realised that once I get the VMS system installed and running, I want to get the 40 years of work off my old disks.
Just a thought. Not sure if anyone has attempted anything like this

snadow
Contributor

Re: Importing older disk images

Post by snadow » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:59 pm

If you can get an old disk to be "visible" to the host system, it should be usable by the VMS guest operating system; when you configure your VMS virtual machine, see if you can assign the old disk as one of the VMS virtual disks. And yes, ODS-2 will work fine. Your old FreeAXP disk image will be fine too, you can definitely assign it to a virtual machine disk.