Setting the Password on 9.2-1 on VirtualBox on Ubuntu 22

Having difficulties when installing the system? Your system runs slowly and requires some tweaking? You can get help here.

Topic author
ohmeadhbh
Visitor

Setting the Password on 9.2-1 on VirtualBox on Ubuntu 22

Post by ohmeadhbh » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:49 pm

After downloading the image from https://sp.vmssoftware.com/#/packages/661, and following instructions at https://docs.vmssoftware.com/vsi-openvm ... ion-guide/ to install into a VirtualBox virtual machine, I hit a snag where I was to select the system password via telnet (on a 64-bit Ubuntu 22 host system.)

Instead of reading my password, it kept asking me for it (the password) over and over.

Fortunately there was a warning in the install guide that if you saw the password echoed, telnet may not be in character mode. Unfortunately, the warning stops short of giving you exact steps if you're running Ubuntu 22.

First off, you may need to install the telnet command with sudo apt-get install telnet.

Once you've started telnet with the command telnet or telnet ${YOUR_IP_ADDRESS} ${PORT} where ${YOUR_IP_ADDRESS} is (unsurprisingly) your IP address and ${PORT} is the port you configured as the virtual console (the installation guide uses 2023.) Once you've started telnet, hit Ctrl-] to enter the telnet> prompt and enter mode character and hit return.

I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to remember the correct bit to toggle in telnet to get real character mode. I'm posting this in case anyone else can't remember the exact telnet settings.

sms
Master

Re: Setting the Password on 9.2-1 on VirtualBox on Ubuntu 22

Post by sms » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:52 pm

Code: Select all

> [...] Once you've started telnet, hit Ctrl-] to enter the telnet>
> prompt [...]

If I had to do that more than once, then I might look into using:

~/.telnetrc

wizdude
Visitor

Post by wizdude » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:11 am

thank you so much for posting this. i'd used PuTTY to perform all of the install up until this point and was going mad.
switched to windows telnet - no change. read about character mode and reconfigured PuTTY and did the install all again.
still no success.

the frustrating part here is that when you went to set the password, it knew how many characters i was typing. if i entered
seven characters it said the password had to be 8 or more.

the only way i was able to install this was to jump onto a linux box, telnet in and change to character mode as you described.

this is the only part of the install which requires this weird workaround. this should be fixed as it's a shocker of an experience.

cheers.

m_detommaso
Valued Contributor

Post by m_detommaso » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:10 am

Putty_config.PNG
Putty_config.PNG (6.06 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Try configuring the Putty connection as "Other/Raw", this should fix the problem.

/Maurizio

csewell
Contributor

Post by csewell » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:36 am

For some reason PuTTY RAW did not work, but rlogin did.

m_detommaso
Valued Contributor

Post by m_detommaso » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:28 am

VSI OpenVMS x86-64 Boot Manager User Guide
Document Number: DO-BME921-01A
Publication Date: March 2023
Revision Update Information: This is a new manual.
Operating System and Version: VSI OpenVMS x86-64 Version E9.2-1
Chapter 7.7 - Terminal Emulator Tips

7.7.2 Using the PuTTY Terminal Emulator

If you wish to direct Console IO to a system running Microsoft Windows, we recommend using the PuTTY terminal emulator. You can download PuTTY from http://putty.org. MobaXterm is another excellent terminal utility.

Depending on how the system you are running your terminal emulator on is connected to the target system, you should select a RAW or TELNET session. The RAW option works well with VSI OpenVMS. If using TELNET, you will need to adjust various settings described below to avoid duplicate output and line termination issues.

PuTTY has several nice features that allow for control of your session. If you are working remotely using a SSH connection through your VPN, make sure that the IP Address Forwarding option is enabled (typically it is by default).

Set up your PuTTY session as follows:

1. Right-click on the window frame of your PuTTY session and select Change Settings.... The most important settings include the following:

In Terminal settings, check the following boxes:

• TURN OFF Implicit CR in every LF
• TURN OFF Implicit LF in every CR
• TURN OFF Local Echo
• TURN OFF Local line editing

2. In Window settings , set your Columns and Rows to match the Boot Manager display (typically 120 Columns, 40 Rows).

3. If you are using a RAW session (recommended):

• Host Name: localhost
• Port: xxxx
• Connection Type: Raw
• Terminal → Implicit CR in every LF: UNCHECK
• Terminal → Implicit LF in every CR: UNCHECK
• Terminal → Local echo: Force off
• Terminal → Local line editing: Force off
• Telnet → Telnet Negotiation Mode: Passive
• Telnet → Return key sends Telnet New Line instead of ^M: UNCHECK
---
My Putty raw configuration works perfectly and I am able to set the password without problems during the install phase of VMS x86-64 V9.2 and E9.2-1.

/Maurizio
Last edited by m_detommaso on Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.