Using libcURL from an installed image

Having difficulties when installing the system? Your system runs slowly and requires some tweaking? You can get help here.

Topic author
mjimji
Contributor

Using libcURL from an installed image

Post by mjimji » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:18 pm

I am making some enhancements to our main application, which will be using the cURL library. Our application runs as an installed image, with privileges, which means that any shareable libraries it uses also have to be installed, and any logicals that are used to reference them need to be EXEC mode. I can get it to work by INSTALLing the cURL library libcurl$shr, and the LDAP library ldap$shr that the cURL library uses, and I can change the libcurl$shr logical to be EXEC mode. I could document those requirements so our customers can do the same.

Is there any better way of handling this? Should I be asking VSI if they can change the cURL installation procedure to allow for this? Is there any danger in INSTALLing ldap$shr?

Re-reading the release notes, I realise I may have another problem. It says that OpenSSL is statically linked into the shareable image, but our application also links to the OpenSSL shareable images - is that likely to cause a problem? Maybe I should be using the libcURL object library, not the shareable image?

Thanks,

Mark

brett.cameron
VSI Expert
Active Contributor

Re: Using libcURL from an installed image

Post by brett.cameron » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Installing the libcurl and LDAP shareable images is fine; no particular problems there. Without knowing the specifics of the application it is difficult to say what issues (if any) there may be with regard to SSL111 but I would strongly suspect you will be okay on that matter as well. Linking with the object libraries would certainly be an option, but there are a handful of other not so obvious libraries that libcurl requires (for compression and for other protocol support).

Topic author
mjimji
Contributor

Re: Using libcURL from an installed image

Post by mjimji » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:18 am

Thanks, Brett.
I will probably try out both options, but not just yet as I'm busy on x86-64. When I do I will (try to remember to) report back here my results.