OpenVMS V9.2 x86 field test in a virtualbox exvironment; is a USB device supported?

Having difficulties when installing the system? Your system runs slowly and requires some tweaking? You can get help here.

Topic author
dvdwrite
Visitor

OpenVMS V9.2 x86 field test in a virtualbox exvironment; is a USB device supported?

Post by dvdwrite » Thu May 12, 2022 10:59 am

This is my first post after I have managed to run the V9.2 field test version in a VirtualBox environment.

These are my observations:

1. I had to format the disk image as a gpt-disk via gparted otherwise the OS doesn't recognize the disk-image.
2. The installation went smootly and now I'm able to access the OS through ssh, ftp and DECnet IV.
3. The USB part of VMS is not activated. No UCM-Server is running.

Have other virtual environments the same problems?

regards
Eberhard
Last edited by dvdwrite on Thu May 12, 2022 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

pjacobi
VSI Expert
Contributor

Re: OpenVMS V9.2 x86 field test in a virtualbox exvironment; is a USB device supported?

Post by pjacobi » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:48 am

USB is currently not supported on X86.

The VMS USB hardware device drivers have been ported to X86 and have shown minimal functionality but have never been formally tested or qualified. Performance is very low as might be expected through software emulation of USB hardware.

Attaching a USB device to a particular VM is not particularly easy or automatic. Each hypervisor has a different interface to attach a USB device to a VM. This first requires a manual USB device disconnect from the host OS.

At the moment, it is not a high priority to complete USB support.

Paul A. Jacobi
VMS Software

dmjb
Active Contributor

Re: OpenVMS V9.2 x86 field test in a virtualbox exvironment; is a USB device supported?

Post by dmjb » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:42 pm

I never needed to explicitly format the disk image as GPT to make the install work. I have not installed on Virtualbox, only VMware Fusion and Workstation, and KVM on Linux.